8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2009 5:25 PM by BalaSGS

Your computer is not protected - Why?

For last few months just about every time I boot up my PC, McAfee Security Center says "Your computer is not protected" and had a red x on the icon in the system tray. A few seconds later I get a Windows security warning that my virus scan is turned off.

I open the Security Center and click the "Fix" button, only to be told errors are preventing the problem from being fixed. It does not say what the errors are or what to do next, nothing!

Mysteriously about a half a day later the red x disappears and all looks okay; only to happen the next morning. Ughhh...

Yes - I am connected to the internet (DSL modem is on) when I boot up.
      Yes - My subscription is current; doesn't expire until next year.
      Windows XP; Security Center 9, VirusScan 13.

Why am I paying for partial protection at best?

Note: This is a different problem from the existing thread with the same title.
        • 1. RE: Your computer is not protected - Why?
          BalaSGS
          Hi

Run the MVT {http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/default.asp} on your computer and post the Session id you get in this thread.
          • 2. RE: Your computer is not protected - Why?
            Session

Your McAfee Virtual Technician
            Session ID: 19462125

Of course I had no problems this morning (Murphys Law!). I will run it again when I do have the problem again.

Thanks
            • 3. RE: Your computer is not protected - Why?
              Okay, it happened again this AM.

Here is the result of the Virtual Technician:
              Session ID:19487753

It says: Problem: Service(s) not running (1).

Clicking the "Fix All" button did not fix the error.
              • 4. RE: Your computer is not protected - Why?
                Vinod R

Reboot the machine.....

click on update button and verify if you get DAT 5693
                • 5. RE: Your computer is not protected - Why?
                  I get the same message. I am running x64 Vista. I click on the "fix protection" and it seems to fix it. But I get it every time I boot up and also at random times.

I have tried to install the Virtual Technician but it fails to install properly. I have installed it under "run as administrator" but no luck.

I also have not been able to get a full scan to run. I can get a quick scan to work OK.

I have DAT 5695. Security center 9.3.162.

I wonder if Windows Vista Service Pack 2 had something to do with this.
                  • 6. RE: Your computer is not protected - Why?
                    It looks like the on-access scanner fails on certain files. The service is stopped for a short period (60s, according to my event logs) before it is automatically restarted. While the service is stopped, MVT reports that a service isn't running and McAfee reports that the system isn't protected.

The on-access scanner failures only appear to happen when the problem files are accessed. As long as I don't use the associated apps, it doesn't happen. So far, this has only included apps that I can avoid using until the problem is fixed.

However, this doesn't fix the full system scan failures on the same files. I haven't had a successful scan since Friday.

In an attempt to get a successful scan, I pinpointed 2 of the files causing the failures and removed them. Now the system scan fails on a "sidebar" file, which I'm not comfortable removing.

Of course, this is based on what I'm seeing. It might be different for other people.
                    For reference, the other 2 problem files belonged to MMO apps (Warhammer Online and Aion: Tower of Eternity).

Hopefully Monday's update fixes the problem.
                    • 7. RE: Your computer is not protected - Why?
                      The latest dat (5696) seems to fix the problem.

Disabling "Active Protection" also worked, although I was leary of leaving it off without more research into exactly what that does.
                      • 8. RE: Your computer is not protected - Why?
                        BalaSGS
                        Hi,

This issue is been Fixed but we would like to inform everyone to enable the McAfee Active Protection. McAfee Active Protection technology provides immediate protection against malicious threats to your PC. A new threat can be analyzed and blocked in milliseconds, rather than waiting hours for traditional techniques. Available for McAfee consumer products
                        Please follow these instructions below, in order to enable back the McAfee Active Protection onto your computer:

Step.1: Open McAfee Security Center, select on Computer & Files, click on Configure on the right bottom
                        Step.2: Click on Advanced. Which is on the right side of the Virus Protection is enabled
                        Step.3: Click on Active Protection on the left bottom, on the right side under the Active Protection make a check mark on Turn on Active Protection. Click on Ok and Close the McAfee Security Center.

Moreover, if you still come across with any other issues please feel free to get into touch with us