1 2 3 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2009 6:01 PM by BalaSGS

Not Protected on Startup

For the last 2 months I have been having a problem with my McAfee Security Center. The problem is that when I start up my computer I get an error message saying that my computer is not fully protected. If I open Mcafee to look at the problem I get the following screen and the icon on the task bar becomes a pixelated Black / Blue logo.

This sometimes also occurs randomly during normal operations of the computer.

Clicking "Fix" will change it back to protected and also just letting it sit for about a minute will bring it back to protected.

I have had 4 or 5 chat sessions with support with no success and have tried the following things to fix the problem:

disabled start up programs
      2 re-installs, one without the removal tool, one with the removal tool
      scanned with Malware Bytes

Any help with trying to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.
        • 1. RE: Not Protected on Startup
          BalaSGS
          Hi,

Please clarify.

What is the version of OS (Operating system) you use?
          What is the version of internet explorer (IE) you use?
          Do you have any pop ups or alert in the computer?

Steps

Please let know the version of McAfee program installed in the computer (Open the McAfee security center-> click on about in the left had bottom of the security center panel)?
          Try to update the Windows make sure all the patch /optional update installed
          • 2. RE: Not Protected on Startup
            Thanks for the response,

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP2 , and internet explorer 8
            Windows is up to date.

The only pop ups or alerts I have on my computer is the McAfee error message I get when I start up my computer seen below

McAfee Version Information
            Security center version 9.3
            Virus scan version 13.3 DAT version 5669.0000
            Personal Firewall version 10.3
            Site Advisor version 2.9
            Anti Spam version 10.3
            Parental controls version 11.3
            • 3. RE: Not Protected on Startup
              BalaSGS
              Hi,
              Let me know how long you have been facing this issue in the computer.
              Can you give me the message you get on the right hand panel of the security center when you have the message your computer is not protected.
              Run the MVT {http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/default.asp} on your computer and post the Session id you get in this thread.
              • 4. RE: Not Protected on Startup
                Hi,

I have been having this problem for approximatly 2 months

The message I get in the right panel of security center is as follows:
                -real time scanning is disabled
                -spyware and potentially unwanted program scanning is disabled
                -IM scanning is disabled
                -script scanning is disabled
                -buffer overflow protection is disabled
                (see picture in first post)

I ran a McAfee Virtual Technician scan, the session ID was 19098446
                The scan however cannot be run during the occurace of the actual event as it will fix itself before I can get to the online scannner.
                • 5. RE: Not Protected on Startup
                  BalaSGS
                  Hi
                  Thank you, let me review you MVT session Id and I will update you…
                  • 6. My Problem Very Similar
                    I just posted a very similar problem here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=232029

The same things are disabled on startup on my laptop but have also been disabled apart from startup. I cannot scan my computer with McAfee and I cannot reactivate SPYWARE AND POTENTIALLY UNWANTED PROGRAM SCANNING. Also, MVT cannot fix the remaining problem. It fixed some but couldn't fix "Services not running (1). In the log the service it couldn't fix showed as : "McSheild C:\PROGRA~\mCafee\viruss~1\mcshield.exe"

I'm sorry to barge in but thought it would be helpful to know that the problem isn't isolated.

Chuck
                    • 7. mcafee not protected issue
                      We are using McAfee from our Comcast Biz account (up to 25 authorized installations). 5 of our users are experiencing the same issue: "Your computer is not protected" at some point during the day. This cannot be 'Fixed' and eventually will resolve itself after performing a number of 'Updates' - but it's not certain that this is the fix (could just be time passed).

This issue occurs late in the day EST, but is not consistent with an exact time. I've been unable to correlate any other software conflicts, other than a HASP application which appeared to coincide with these issues starting - and has since been uninstalled with no change to the problem.

In my particular case, I've contacted and worked with McAfee Support on 4 occasions without resolution to the issue:

Service Request #: 279718091
                      Created Date: 03/30/2009 15:28:34

Service Request #: 278064897
                      Created Date: 03/27/2009 15:18:53

Service Request #: 276889818
                      Created Date: 03/25/2009 16:23:58

Service Request #: 281033934
                      Created Date: 04/01/2009 15:20:17

I've performed all steps indicated in numerous postings and as directed by customer support: uninstall, run MCPR cleaner tool, reboot, re-install. However, my computer (and others) are still experiencing the same issue.

McAfee versions currently installed on my computer are:
                      securitycenter - 8.1, virusscan - 12.1, firewall - 9.1, privacy service - 10.1, data backup - 1.2

Would be great if someone finds a resolution to this systemic problem.
                      • 8. RE: My Problem Very Similar
                        BalaSGS
                        Hi,
                        I believe we might be having the issue with conflicting security software or a malware infection present in the computer.
                        Try to open the system service tab and try to enable the McAfee real time scanning and restart the computer
                        Start – search bar type – services.msc – right click services and run as administrator
                        Check with McAfee Real time Scanning is started. if not then Right Click on the McAfee real time scanning and click on start.
                        • 9. RE: My Problem Very Similar
                          Thanks BalsSGS,

I think the problem might be solved.

When I checked services.msc Real Time Scanning was started and set to Automatically start; however the McAfee System Guard service was set to manually start. I changed the system guard service to start automatically and restarted and did not have any issues during start up.

Could the System Guard service being set to manually start be the cause of the issue?
                          1 2 3 Previous Next