3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2009 2:06 PM by Peter M

Auto Update boxes grey not yellow now?

Hi! I'm new to the forum and techno-challenged so please bear with me. A while back, I had something that looked like a Windows update try to automatically download and was able to stop it. Then a few weeks later, I had another one that kept coming up when I turned the computer on that wouldn't let me past it to even sign in. I managed to start in safe mode and did a system restore to a couple of weeks back and that seemed to take care of the problem. Now I notice that when my auto updates of Security Center 9.3 come through, they say they are complete but the box is grey when it used to be yellow and ring an alarm. Is this something I should be concerned about? Are they really downloading? Virus scan doesn't find anything, but after reading the forums I don't feel totally safe anymore. Seems like you can never really be sure. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
      Carolina:confused:
        • 1. RE: Auto Update boxes grey not yellow now?
          Peter M
          System Restore always messes up programs that are date sensitive such as McAfee (daily updates) and it appears in your case that it may have been corrupted.

Make sure that your system is totally up to date with both critical & non-critical updates from Microsoft.

You might also want to temporarily disable System Restore to get rid of whatever it was that was unwelcome which is now in the System Restore folders.

Temporarily enable Windows Firewall and do the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
          In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
          If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.
          • 2. RE: Auto Update boxes grey not yellow now?
            Thanks for your help. I'll try to follow the steps. I'll post back and let you know how it went.