4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2009 5:04 AM by Peter M

Move McAfee writes off of my system disk

To limit the wear of my SSD system disk I'm trying to limit the amount of writes to it. Almost all writes that still take place are by McAfee to various loactions under:
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\

How can get McAfee to write to another location on another disk?
        • 1. RE: Move McAfee writes off of my system disk
          Peter M
          It's a solid state disk with no moving parts, how do you figure it's subject to wear? You can't achieve what you are aiming at, at least with the home products.
          They install on the system drive and do all their work there.

If you are using Enterprise products then post a new thread in Corporate lower down the main page and if a Small Business product then you have to go through Gold Support.
          • 2. RE: Move McAfee writes off of my system disk
            Hi Ex_brit,

With wear I mean Write Endurance: - The number of write cycles to any block of flash is limited - and once you've used up your quota for that block - that's it! The disk can become unreliable.

You can use them as system disk but you will have to limit the amount of writes.
            • 3. RE: Move McAfee writes off of my system disk
              Peter M
              I haven't tried an SSD yet but I think I'll wait until they really tried and true, plus I don't see them in large capacity formats yet.

I hadn't heard about that limitation before especially as I see that even Alienware are offering them as a main system drive choice and their forums have no mention of this.

In any case, McAfee, as it is a system protection tool, has to be installed on the same drive as the system it is protecting and it can't be forced to split up into different entities utilizing different drives.

I think the same would apply to just about any protection software.
              • 4. RE: Move McAfee writes off of my system disk
                Peter M
                You might want to take a read here: SSD Myths & Legends