2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2009 12:46 PM by Greens

No Alerts, No Log, Verify Subscription

Greens
      I have three different things going on with my Security Suite: Security Center 9.3, Virus Scan 13.3, Firewall 10.3, Site Advisor 2.9, Anit-spam 10.3, Parental Controls 11.3, all up to date. Using Windows XP Media Center, Service Pack 3, all up to date. No other antivirus, spyware, etc. programs on this computer. Nothing has been changed (programs added or removed, etc.) as far as I know, although my kid might have done something.

1. I stopped receiving informational alerts on events.

2. When a virus is detected, it is quaranteed but no log is shown. Logs are kept for complete scans.

3. I need to verify my subscription every couple of days.

I ran virtual technician and 2 problems were found and fixed. One had to do with a registry item:
      Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MpfService Start

The other was a start up problem:
      Service: MPFService "C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe"

I download the eicar thing as a test. It was quaranteed but I received no alerts and there is no log file of it.

My program is set to log these events and give me alerts. I guess as long as it detects and quarantines files I'm still protected but I'd really like to see the alert and log files again if I don't have to go through a lot of hassle. Any ideas???
        • 1. More Information
          Greens
          I just wanted to add some more information to my post. My Virtual Technician session ID is 17476461. I have since run Quick Clean and cleaned the following: Recycle Bin, Temporary Internet Files, Lost File Fragments, Registry Cleaner, Cache, Cookies, Browser History, Recently Used and Active X.

Although the detection log under "computer and files" shows no log after 3/27, a virus was quaranteed on 4/14 (New Malware.bm) as was the test eicar.

It is logging events under internet - both inbound and outbound events. The inbound event shows that Java Update checker was blocked but I've since unblocked it.

Nothing was found on my system scan this morning.
          • 2. RE: No Alerts, No Log, Verify Subscription
            Greens
            So Stupid! I fixed everything but the verify subscription problem. I missed something in the settings - apparently they got changed recently - and now I'm getting the alerts and detection log for the eicar. Sorry to take up so much space and your time reading this.