1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 15, 2009 8:54 AM by Peter M

problem downloading .txt files from Internet Explorer

I am working with a web site which requires the use of Internet Explorer. ( not sure if this happens with Firefox). Occasionally I have to download .txt files from this site. All was working well, until I installed McAffee. Now when I attempt to download the .txt file, it changes it to a .asp file and hangs.
      Any solution to this problem. I need to look at these .txt files as part of my work!

Thanks for any help.
        • 1. RE: problem downloading .txt files from Internet Explorer
          Peter M
          Strange, that doesn't happen in any of my operating systems and in any browsers, Firefox 3 and IE8 included.

Have you checked file associations in Windows? The default programme which open .txt files is Notepad.

When you post back we will need more information if we need to investigate further.

Please include the following information:

What is your operating system, service pack and are you up to date with Microsoft update? There are two ways of checking this. Go to Start/Run and type in winver then click the Enter key. Or, right-click My Computer in the Start Menu or on your desktop (or Computer in Vista) and select Properties.
          Post what it says.

What McAfee products do you have? If your taskbar icon is like this: - double-click to open SecurityCenter and then click "View Details" or "About" at the lower right of the new window. Post the details from each module.

Also what other protection software do you have installed?