7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2009 4:06 PM by Peter M

A little help please...

:confused: is there anyway to tell mcafee to ignore a file, or folder from scanning. "libtag.dll" is a critical file for a program called "Fixtunes". it automaticaly goes to quarantine and will let me restore the file, only to quarantine it again faster than it would let me restore it. here is a little more information on this file found at

http://developer.kde.org/~wheeler/taglib.html#windows%22

Files
      TagLib 1.5

TagLib 1.5 RC 1

TagLib 1.5 Beta 1

TagLib 1.4

TagLib 1.3.1

TagLib 1.3

TagLib 1.2

TagLib 1.1

TagLib 1.0

TagLib 1.0 Beta 2

TagLib 1.0 Beta 1

SVN

Windows Port

API Documentation

Download

Bindings
      C

Perl

Python

Ruby

Contact
      Development List

TagLib Audio Meta-Data Library
      TagLib is a library for reading and editing the meta-data of several popular audio formats. Currently it supports both ID3v1 and ID3v2 for MP3 files, Ogg Vorbis comments and ID3 tags and Vorbis comments in FLAC, MPC, Speex, WavPack and TrueAudio files.

TagLib is distributed under the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL) and Mozilla Public License (MPL). Essentially that means that it may be used in proprietary applications, but if changes are made to TagLib they must be contributed back to the project. Please review the licenses if you are considering using TagLib in your project.

There is some general information about the motivation and workings of TagLib that can be found in the API documentation.

Please, for all questions related to TagLib and / or patches use the development list rather than my personal address!

Goals and Features:
      TagLib is fast - tests have shown it to be about 6 times faster than id3lib and 3 times faster than libvorbisfile at reading tags (CPU time)
      TagLib is clean - TagLib is written in clean, object oriented C++ using a programming style common in KDE and Qt library programming
      TagLib is easy - TagLib offers an abstraction layer that makes it easy to ignore the differences between the different file formats and their implementations
      TagLib is powerful - for those that want to look under the hood TagLib provides access to the implementations of the individual file formats and provides a toolkit for doing advance manipulation of audio meta-data
      TagLib is well documented - Every class, namespace, function and enumeration in TagLib is documented
      TagLib supports Unicode - both ID3v2 and Ogg Vorbis standards are designed to support Unicode, so is TagLib (many tagging libraries and frontends are not)
      TagLib is extensible - TagLib does not implement every feature of ID3v2, but does instead mades it possible for application authors to extend TagLib to support the specific features that they need in their applications
      TagLib is not toolkit specific - while TagLib does use KDE-style programming conventions and C++ by default, it does not link to either Qt or Glib (in fact it has no external dependancies) and does provide Glib-style C bindings (currently for the generic API only)
      TagLib 1.5 Release - February 21, 2008
      Changes from 1.4 to 1.5

Support for Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows
      Distributed under the MPL (in addition to the previous LGPL license)
      Added support for Speex files
      Added support for TrueAudio files
      Added support for WavPack files
      Added support for ID3v2 general encapsulated object frames
      Added support for ID3v2 unsynchronized lyrics frames
      Added support for ID3v2 URL frames
      Propper exports of all public classes / functions
      Updated the APE::Item API to work with value lists
      Added support to the FileRef class for new Xiph (Ogg) extensions
      Made the samples per frame for MPEG headers accessible
      Made MP3 Xing headers accessible
      Prevent invalid encodings from being written to ID3v1 tags
      Non-Latin1 ID3v2 text frames are automatically converted to UTF-8 on write (if they are not explicitly set to UTF-16)
      Added support for reading ID3v2.2/3 unsynchronized tags
      Made it possible to search for ID3v2 comment frames by description
      Fixed a number of bugs in ID3v2 relative volume adjustment reading and writing
      Added work arounds for iTunes writing invalid ID3v2 frame lengths
      Added work arounds for iTunes not being able to correctly parse numerical ID3v2 genres
      Added work arounds for iTunes putting non-text information in ID3v2 comment frames
      Added a function to export strings to std::wstring
      Added a function to check ASCII compatibility of strings
      Added a function to check Latin1 compatibility of strings
      Older Releases
      Language Bindings
      C (Abstract API only, included with the library.)
      Perl
      Python
      TagPy
      Python-TagLib
      Ruby (Abstract API only)
      Ruby (alternative, older) (Abstract API only)

Projects Using TagLib
      There are quite a few projects using TagLib already. Here's a partial list. If you know of something else, please send me a mail with a link and I'll add it here. (Note that inclusion here is not an endorsement of the listed software.)

JuK Jukebox for KDE
      Amarok Music player for KDE
      Last.fm Social music site
      Songbird Mozilla powered open music player
      Native Instruments Traktor Profesionall DJing Software
      MusicCube Cross Platform Jukebox
      Madman Music Manager
      IMMS Intelligent Multimedia Management System
      MPEG Menu System Version2 Multimedia Playback Menu System
      KTag KDE Based Tagging Application
      K-Yamo Tagger and music organizer for KDE
      Prokyon3 Multiplatform music manager
      Tellico Collection manager for KDE
      Audacious Media Player GTK2 Based Music Player (XMMS, BMP family)
      Sonata GTK+ based music client for MPD
      Quick File Rename Shareware, meta-data aware batch file renamer for Windows
      Goggles Music Manager Music manager that uses the FOX toolkit
      Gnomad 2 Music manager for the Creative NOMAD, Creative Zen and Dell DJ MP3 players
      GNOME Commander Two-pane graphical file manager for GNOME
      Rutaci Command line music tagger written in ruby

SVN Access
      While TagLib doesn't directly use anything KDE related it is largely developed by KDE developers. As such it's hosted in the "kde-support" module of KDE's SVN repository. You can check get a copy via anonymous SVN with:

svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/kdesupport
      There's more information and mirrors listed at the KDE Developer's Corner.

Microsoft Windows
      As of version 1.5 TagLib is officially supported under Microsoft Windows. TagLib may be build from source using the CMake build system on Windows. There are also binaries available here.

Apple OS X
      A Mac OS X (Universal) framework is available here.

Most Linux and UNIX distributions include TagLib. The source may be build using the standard configure and make commands.
        • 1. RE: A little help please...
          Peter M
          You would have to submit the file(s) to Avert Laboratories for analysis. They will send you an extra.dat to cover the detection. If they don't or if they say it is an infection still, reply to their response keeping the headers intact and ask for a re-test explaing why.

Send a file to Avert for analysis:
          http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx
          or
          https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp
          or
          Email file to: virus_research@avertlabs.com
          When submitting samples via E-mail all samples must be packaged in a .ZIP file. When creating this .ZIP file, it is important to understand that the .ZIP can be no more than 3 megabytes in size and can contain no more than 30 files. Additionally, any .ZIP file created must be password-protected using the password "infected" (minus the ""). Failure to follow these guidelines will cause your submission to be rejected.
          • 2. RE: A little help please...
            I am also having this same problem. The thing is, I can't send in any file for them to check because it is being quarantined and is not allowing me to be able to select it. I have tried sending the file to mcafee from the restore area, but it wont because of network difficulties. I have tried everything to allow mcafee to send the file in, and the program says its connected to the internet. I am getting extremely irritated because I spent $30 to use this program and now I can't. So either mcafee fixes this or I want my money back. This is ridiculous. I have also tried to update the program just in case it would fix the issue, it wont even let me download the program itself anymore. I do not even have the program on my computer now. The program is called Fixtunes and mcafee is quaruntining libtag.dll. As stated earlier, this is used to tag Id3 files, it is not a virus or trojan.
            • 3. RE: A little help please...
              i would not recommend you to do this..but u can do by simply clicking trust this program whenever virus scan alerts you..
              • 4. RE: A little help please...
                Peter M
                You can't trust anything other than something marked as a PUP (possibly unwanted program) & even then it isn't always possible with the way the consumer products are set up. Anything else quarantined would have to be dealt with as follows:
                First disable VirusScan:
                To temporarily turn off VirusScan do the following:
                Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center
                Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)
                Click Configure (left)
                Click Computer & Files (top left)
                You can disable VirusScan in the right-hand module and tell it for how long.
                Then click the Restore button (left & assuming it was quarantined) & restore the item.
                Send the file to Avert for analysis:
                http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx
                or
                https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp
                or
                Email file to: [EMAIL="virus_research@avertlabs.com"]virus_research@avertlabs.com
                When submitting samples via E-mail all samples must be packaged in a .ZIP file. When creating this .ZIP file, it is important to understand that the .ZIP can be no more than 3 megabytes in size and can contain no more than 30 files. Additionally, any .ZIP file created must be password-protected using the password "infected" (minus the ""). Failure to follow these guidelines will cause your submission to be rejected.
                • 5. RE: A little help please...
                  Thankyou for the help. I was able to upload the file after redownloading the program. Hopefully I get a response back on how to allow mcafee to let the program through. I do believe that it is not a trojan, because this is a program I have paid for and is, from what I understand, quite a popular piece of software with its own site. It is on both windows and macs. But anyways, like I said thanks for the help.
                  • 6. Problem still not solved
                    I have submitted libtag.dll to AVERT, been told it had a virus, escalated the case, and got an extra.dat file. Problem is, the extra.dat still didn't solve the problem.

In between each of these steps I have contacted tech support, they keep pawning me off on avert, who got the information that the extra.dat file didn't solve the problem, over a week ago. I have still heard nothing from them. I have resubmitted it, AGAIN.

Seems to me, that since this problem was first mentioned in this forum back in April, that they could have solved this by now. I am really getting tired of not being able to use Fixtunes.

I feel like I am being ping ponged back and forth, because no one can solve this.
                    • 7. RE: Problem still not solved
                      Peter M

This is an old thread. Are you talking about Fixtunes or something else?

Perhaps there is more than one file that should be forwarded to the Threat Center?

I'm afraid it's between you and them as we have absolutely no connection with that side of things.