5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2009 9:02 PM by Peter M

Installation Problems

Let me start with a few basic.. Windows Vista 32-bit recently reinstalled and have been having an issue reinstalling Securiy Suite for Comcast.. Been up and down the threads looking for answers and i am ready to throw the laptop out the window. When I download and run "DMSetup-Serial.exe" it does all the preliminaries... "custom or typical setup" chose "typical" it downloads the setup for compatibility checker.. Asks if i want to create a desktop shortcut.. click "next" and runs the virus scan... After the scan it feezes during gathering download info.. I did the pre-install program, and ran the "virtual technician" and to no help.. here is the info from the VT log

MVT Information
      MVT Version : 4.3.3.0
      Session ID : 16644056
      System Information
      Operating System : Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic EditionHome Edition (Build 6001)
      Service Pack : Service Pack 1.0
      Language : 0409
      Internet Explorer Version : 8.0
      Internet Explorer Language : en-us
      System Drive Type : NTFS
      Physical Memory Available : 1064756
      Physical Memory Total : 2086144
      Virtual Memory Available : 3150900
      Virtual Memory Total : 4411196
      System Architecture : x86 Family 6 Model 22 Stepping 1Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 550 @ 2.00GHz
      Date Time : 03/21/2009 18:37:27
      Time Zone : GMT -05:00
      Product Details
      Product Name : SiteAdvisor
      Product Version : 2.6.0.6261
      Language : en-us
      Partner : 0
      Health Check Details
      Registry OK
      Expected Registry Key Present
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SiteAdvisor
      Expected Registry Value Present
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SiteAdvisor InstallDate

File OK
      Expected File Present
      c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\\SiteAdv.dll
      Expected File Present
      c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\\SiteAdv.exe
      Expected File Present
      c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\\servers.dat
      Expected File Present
      c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\\saLang.dll
      Expected File Present
      c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\\manifest.txt
      Expected File Present
      c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\\uninstall.exe
      Expected File Present
      c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\\SaSubMgr.dll
      Expected File Present
      c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\\SiteAd64.dll
      Expected File Present
      c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\\SaReg.exe
      Expected File Present
      c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\\SASync.exe
      Expected File Present
      c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\\Upsell.dll
      Expected File Present
      c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\\McFrmwk.dll
      Expected File Present
      c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\\McProHlp.dll
      Expected File Present
      c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\\FF\components\FFHook.dll
      Expected File Present
      c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\\SAService.exe
      Expected File Present
      c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\\APEngine.dll
      Expected File Present
      c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\\CntScan.dll
      Expected File Present
      c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\\saHook.dll
      Expected File Present
      c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\\saPlugin.dll

Process OK
      Service OK
      Expected Service State Correct
      Service : SiteAdvisor Service "C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6261\SAService.exe"
      Expected Service Startup type Correct
      Service : SiteAdvisor Service "C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6261\SAService.exe"

COM OK
      Expected COM Component Present
      Internet Explorer BHO {089FD14D-132B-48FC-8861-0048AE113215} c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\SiteAdv.dll
      Expected COM Component Server Type Correct
      Internet Explorer BHO {089FD14D-132B-48FC-8861-0048AE113215} c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\SiteAdv.dll
      Expected COM Component File Present
      Internet Explorer BHO {089FD14D-132B-48FC-8861-0048AE113215} c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\siteadv.dll
      Expected COM Component Present
      Internet Explorer Toolbar {0bf43445-2f28-4351-9252-17fe6e806aa0} c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\SiteAdv.dll
      Expected COM Component Server Type Correct
      Internet Explorer Toolbar {0bf43445-2f28-4351-9252-17fe6e806aa0} c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\SiteAdv.dll
      Expected COM Component File Present
      Internet Explorer Toolbar {0bf43445-2f28-4351-9252-17fe6e806aa0} c:\program files\siteadvisor\6261\siteadv.dll

Top Issues OK
      SYSTEM OK
        • 1. RE: Installation Problems
          Peter M
          Enable Vista Windows Firewall.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
          In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
          If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.

If you are McAfee direct customer, go to https://home.mcafee.com/Secure/Protected/Login.aspx and log in to download your McAfee products.

If you received your McAfee products from your service provider, please use the list below to download your software.

Comcast users should go to http://security.comcast.net/ and log in to download your software.

DELL users should go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=105 and log in to download your software.

Gateway users should go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=370 and log in to download your software.

eMachines users should go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=365 and log in to download your software.

MSN users should go to http://membercenter.msn.com/ and log in to download your software.

AOL users should go to http://daol.aol.com/safetycenter and log in to download your software.
          • 2. RE: Installation Problems
            Sorry Ex_Brit, tried all of them and still no luck, downloaded and installed a trial addition out of frustration, and that is working just fine. so what's the issue here? I can not use my laptop if its not secure... and if I can not get mcafee to work, I will just have find something else that will work.
            • 3. RE: Installation Problems
              Peter M
              You installed a trial edition of McAfee successfully but the regular Comcast one wont install, is that what you are saying? If so something is wrong with Comcast's servers and you should call 1-800-COMCAST. Otherwise use the Technical Support Chat linked in my signature to find out of there is anything they can do to facilitate it.

What do you mean "tried all of them"? Did you uninstall everything and then run the tool I mentioned?

Also is this Vista SP1?
              • 4. Same EXACT Problem on my System
                I have been experiencing this exact same issue. I also have Windows Vista Home Basic, SP1, on the LT I am trying to load SecurityCenter. I am also attempting to use the Comcast-entitled version. It does not matter if I run the McPreInstall.exe and/or the MCPR.exe utility before my install attempt, it will ALWAYS fail in the exact same spot (after the pre-install scan.)

However, one thing I have since discovered, if I use a custom install and install the anti-virus only the installation will complete. Likewise, if I choose to install any other combination of the other three components (excluding the anti-virus), that too will complete installation. Choosing to install the anti-virus in combination with one or more of the other components of SecurityCenter will cause the failure. Perorming the install again after the AV install (choosing all components) uninstalls everything, forces a reboot, and attempts a new install of all componets - which then fails like before.

Also, it appears that the software does indeed download from McAfee's web site, not from Comcast.

What I now need to know, other than why this happens, is how to get the remainder of the suite installed. Please advise as to what other information I can provide.
                • 5. RE: Same EXACT Problem on my System
                  Peter M
                  I have no idea why that is. There are many possibilities why it's happening. The only people that may be able to tell you exactly why would be Technical Support Chat (top left of page or linked in my signature) as they can go into your PC and check.

If you managed to get VirusScan installed that means you also have Security Center installed.

Just go back to the download page and choose thew custom install when it's offered, Then pick firewall or whatever else you need.

You could try it one by one to be safe.