3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2009 11:12 AM by Peter M

McProxy Problem in 9

I am using McAfee Security center 9. The McProxy service is taking huge amount of CPU and Memory in my computer. I have went through some posts here related to this problem and found that McAfee fixed the problem in Securoty CEnter 9... but I am still getting this problem? I am working in a company that they started to use McAfee from 2 years ago and keep on upgrading (it was 7 earlier and now it is Security center 9)

I am providing screen shots of my McAfee version and Memory usage in Task manager

Version

Memory usage in Task Manager

• 1. RE: McProxy Problem in 9
          Peter M
          In your picture it is using zero CPU resources. There have been issues with some PC Tools Software interacting. Are you using Spyware Doctor for instance? Try uninstalling it.

What is your operating system and service pack?
          • 2. RE: McProxy Problem in 9
            Thanks for the quick reply

1. I dont use any other security related tools such as Spyware doctor. However, I disabled the McAfee firewall protection and enabled the windows firewall protection. I did this to try to solve the Mcproxy memory usage. I even disabled the network related options in order to get rid of this problem

2. I am using XP, SP2. My PC is in the Lan

3. Most of the time McProxy uses huge amount of Memory and in less time it uses CPU resource too. It was zero CPU usage When I took this pic. However, it suddenly start to grab CPU usage hugely and then stops. I noticed this happens whenever I access something in the network of sometime when I browse internet

Thanks
            • 3. RE: McProxy Problem in 9
              Peter M
              It shouldn't be using that much memory and so I'm wondering if the installation is corrupted.

If you click the thumbnail at the bottom that is mine in Vista SP1 x86.

Apart from the fact that you should be upgraqding to SP3 a.s.a.p. - help with that here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=220807 - all I can suggest is the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
              In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
              If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site. (NOT from any CD that you may have).