Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
3866 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2009 10:37 AM by Ex_Brit RSS
Newcomer 5 posts since
Feb 17, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 17, 2009 9:15 AM

My McAfee Update download manager broken?

I have been unable to download the latest McAfee Update file since Feb. 6 over my slow dial-up (28.8). When my ISP server times out after 3 hours, or if I have to close the connection (it's my only phone line), the McAfee download is lost and does NOT resume where it left off, but instead starts over at 0% every time I disconnect/reconnect. Windows XP installed Service Pack 3 on Jan. 31, which may or may not be relevant to my current problem (after that, I received one McAfee Virus Scan update and 2 Windows updates have downloaded and installed successfully).
In all the years I've had McAfee the Update RESUMED where it left off. But this update, which will take my computer 5 or 6 hours to download, will never finish because my ISP's server is hard-wired with a session timeout after 3 hours.
I've tried the normal "Support" channels several times, including Virtual Technician, which tells me that I need the DAT file, which I already know, and Chat support, which "fails" repeatedly, and yes, I turned OFF all pop-up blockers and ad blockers. Also, my computer won't load the Community Forums windows, so I'm sending this from a different computer.
Can someone tell me how I can get back to the good old days when McAfee downloads resumed where they left off at the last connection?
McAfee Security Center 9.3.137
Virus Scan Plus 13.3.115
  • BalaSGS Community Administrator 963 posts since
    Oct 8, 2008
    1. Feb 18, 2009 7:49 AM (in response to susanv)
    RE: My McAfee Update download manager broken?
    Hi,

Please clarify the below:

1. Check the McAfee Security center version. To check the Version Right click on the Mcafee Icon Displayed on the right bottom corner
    2. Clear the Temp folders and prefetch , To delete the Temp folders Click on Start and click on run Type %temp% ,Temp, Prefetch and select all the folders and delete
    3. Clear cookies , files and browsing history from internet explorer options
    4. Run the MSCPRXFIX.EXE tool link for the tool http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MSCPRXFIX.exe.
    5. Inorder to get the mcafee updates regularly we need to connect to the internet on daily basis

Bala

McAfee Tier 2.5 Team lead / Administrator

• BalaSGS Community Administrator 963 posts since
    Oct 8, 2008
    3. Feb 19, 2009 7:36 AM (in response to susanv)
    Hi,
    You can make the McAfee update manually instead of the Automatic (Open Security center->Click on configure button in the bottom right hand panel –turn off the Automatic update) which will help you to update the McAfee detection signature files. But make sure that you don’t work with any other application in the Internet
    You can also try with update tool https://us.mcafee.com/root/McAfeeUpdate.exe
    • If you receive a "File download security warning", click yes.
    • Click Save to download the file to a location on your computer.
    • Ensure you close all applications that are running on your computer.
    • Navigate to the location where the file was saved.
    • Double-click McAfeeUpdate.exe to run the tool.
    • Navigate to the location where the file was saved.
    • Double-click McAfeeUpdate.exe to run the tool.
    • Restart your computer when prompted. This is a necessary step.
    • After restarting your computer, McAfee will check for updates automatically. Please wait for these updates to complete.

Regards
    Bala

Bala

McAfee Tier 2.5 Team lead / Administrator

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,581 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    6. Feb 23, 2009 5:57 PM (in response to susanv)
    According to our conference call today this should not be happening. The download manager should resume from where it has left off if the connection is broken temporarily. It appears that this is a Windows caching issue rather than a fault at McAfee's end.

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-5889-1-62127/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,581 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    8. Feb 24, 2009 10:37 AM (in response to susanv)
    RE: Should I give up on McAfee?
    I have no idea why, I was only passing on what I was told. Obviously what things are supposed to do differs from reality. I think Technical Support Chat would be better equipped to answer all your questions.

Your ISP may practice "Traffic Shaping" although at the relatively low bandwidth they obviously think people can tolerate I'd be surprised if they do. They would never admit to you if they did anyway.

There was no need to uninstall SP3 - it has no bearing on this. Reinstall it a.s.a.p. Guidelines for that here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=220807

I would use the Tech. Support Chat, link in my signature. If you get no joy with the first person ask him/her to escalate it.

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-5889-1-62127/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)