7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2009 4:45 AM by Peter M

Restoring a Partition breaks McAfee?

I routinely restore partitions. McAfee Security Center always breaks causing a uninstall/reinstall. What is it about copying/restoring a partition that causes McAfee problems? I use Paragon Hard Disk Manager (sector by sector copy) and XP. This is a royal PITA!

Thanks
      KK
        • 1. RE: Restoring a Partition breaks McAfee?
          Peter M
          Have you tried right-clicking the taskbar icon and updating immediately afterwards?

Security Center relies on time being synchronised and restored images would always be time-stamped out of synch. At least that's what I assume.
          • 2. RE: Restoring a Partition breaks McAfee?

Just tried it, restored a partition, immediately tried update, it seemed to look (saw the spinning tray icon) but did nothing. For the heck of it I tried renew subscription, told me some programs had to be re-installed. PITA.

Where would McAfee store that timestamp? On McAfee servers? Doesn’t make sense. If I had 2 computers, one I used everyday and one I used once a month, the once a month computer would always be out of sync.

Doesn’t make sense. I restored the entire system partition, there is nothing else on the disk and the rest of my disks are disabled.

This happens every time. As I said before, it’s a royal PITA to spend 45 minutes uninstalling/reinstalling McAfee every time I restore a partition.
            • 3. RE: Restoring a Partition breaks McAfee?
              Peter M
              Just curious why are you constantly using System Restore? It really shouldn't be necessary.
              The McAfee Security Center relies on being up to date. The problem is inside the machine not elsewhere. When the system is restored you are basically changing its base from one time to another and that throws its timing off. It's a matter of fact and can't be changed.

If it's now saying parts are missing do the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
              2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
              3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
              In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
              4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.
              • 4. RE: Restoring a Partition breaks McAfee?

Sorry if I confused you, I’m not using System restore. I am restoring, i.e. copying a previously backed up partition from one disk to another. This causes McAfee to break every time which then requires an uninstall (via control panel) and then a re-install. It takes longer to reinstall McAfee than it does to copy back the partition.

I feel this has to be McAfee “thinking” its some kind of security issue, moving a partition somewhere else.
                • 5. RE: Restoring a Partition breaks McAfee?
                  Peter M
                  Ah, I understand. I think that McAfee doesn't know the difference between the two but as I know nothing of its internal mechanisms, I could easily be wrong.
                  • 6. RE: Restoring a Partition breaks McAfee?
                    Peacekeeper
                    I regularly use windows backup and ghost to "restore" a partition on a vista and XP machine respectively and never had it break mcafee. Ok restoring to same drive I ghosted/backed up from . Are you restoring to the same drive both in actual drive and drive letter?

Peter maybe a Question for Tuesday if we cannot sort this out
                    • 7. RE: Restoring a Partition breaks McAfee?
                      Peter M
                      Perhaps. I still don't understand the need to use restore so frequently.