1 2 3 4 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2009 5:50 AM by Peter M

Windows Defender error only with McAfee 9.3

davehorne
      If I uninstall McAfee I _do not_ receive the following message - Windows Defender failed to initialze along with the error 0x800106ba. I spent a fair amount of time with this and confirmed, at least on my computer (Vista Home Premium, SP1), that uninstalling McAfee lets Windows Defender run without problems.

Are there known conflicts with Windows Defender and McAfee 9.3 (under Vista)?

Thanks, Dave Horne
        • 1. i have same problem
          i recieve same error on start up vista sp1 it just started 2 days ago do you have any suggestions
          • 2. RE: i have same problem
            davehorne
            I have a workaround. Type msconfig.exe in Start \ Start Search. When the program is listed, right click on it and Run as Administrator. Go to the Start Up programs and deselect Windows Defender.

Since Windows Defender is duplicated by McAcfee, you shouldn't miss it at all. If you ever uninstall McAfee, it's simple enough to put it back in the Start Up list.
            • 3. RE: i have same problem
              Peter M
              Glad you found a fix Dave. I haven't yet got 9.3 but WD works just fine normally in my Vista alongside McAfee SC 9.0.

I'll pass this on to the team for investigation.

By the way you can't "Run as Administrator" in MSCONFIG. Had you tried NOT running it as Administrator? That is its default mode.

Go to Computer\Program Files\Windows Defender\Msascui.exe and right-click/Properties and remove the "Run as Administrator" elevation from the compatibility tab.

It isn't strictly true that WD is duplicated by McAfee as it is anti-spyware and VirusScan bring an anti-virus is limited in that regard, unfortunately. WD also has that very useful Software Explorer under Tools where startup items can also be disabled very handily.

(FYI a feature that has unfortunately been removed in the Windows 7 version).
              • 4. RE: i have same problem
                davehorne
                Ex_Brit, I'm not sure I follow you re Run as Administrator in msconfig.exe.

When I bring up that program and right click on it, the Run as Administrator is not grayed out. I assumed that was a valid option for me ... and gave me a bit more clout.
                • 5. RE: i have same problem
                  Peter M
                  I was querying this sentence..

I have a workaround. Type msconfig.exe in Start \ Start Search. When the program is listed, right click on it and Run as Administrator. Go to the Start Up programs and deselect Windows Defender.

Which seems to infer that there is that option in msconfig.

In any case, have you tried not elevating it in that manner and seeing if it will coexist with SC 9.3?
                  • 6. RE: i have same problem
                    davehorne
                    Perhaps I wasn't clear, sorry.

When msconfig.exe appears in Start \ Start Search, I right clicked on msconfig.exe and ran msconfig.exe as administrator.

... or maybe I'm just too tired from lack of sleep ...
                    • 7. RE: i have same problem
                      Peter M
                      Ah I understand.. No need to do that as UAC will ask for your permission anyway.
                      • 8. RE: i have same problem
                        [SIZE="3"]I've also seen this issue these days..

I've a solution for this..But I am not sure whetehr this is a permanent one..

Open the 'services' window (Start >> Run >> services.msc)

Navigate to Windows defender and double click it then start the service..

Make sure that the 'start up typel is set to 'automatic'..

This can resolve the issue..

Just try it and let me know whether it's working

Thanks
                        Bijoy
                        [/SIZE]
                        • 9. RE: i have same problem

Thank you very much dave that resolved the issue thanks
                          sean
                          1 2 3 4 Previous Next