7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2009 11:06 AM by Vinod R

How to invitemy notebook to become a trusted member of my LAN

I have a notebook running McAfee Toatl Protection connected to a LAN. I goto McAfee Security Center, click on Managed Network and I see the notebook and all the other computers on the LAN. I click on This Computer twice and it says Details. Under Permissions it says, You haven't been invited to join the managed network.

What do I need to do to get invited? Who issues the invitations?
        • 1. RE: How to invitemy notebook to become a trusted member of my LAN
          BalaSGS
          Hi,

The invite has to be done by the Main computer (Admin PC), so login to the main computer, Open McAfee Security Center> Click on Manage Network> Select the computer you wish invite.

On the right bottom corner you will have an option which says Manage this Computer> Follow the onscreen instructions on the both the computer.
          • 2. Which computer is the main computer (Admin PC)?
            I purchased a 3-User Total Protertion license for the new notebook computers. I would like to add them to a LAN that already has a desktop computer running McAfee Total Protection.

On a new notebook, under Managed Network, it displays a network diagram which shows the new notebook computer and the old desktop computer connected to the same network. Under Permissions it says the new notebook hasn't been invited to join the network.

On the old desktop computer, under Managed Network it does not display a network diagram, nor does it say I am the Admin PC. It refers to the new notebook and says its not being monitored. What do I need to do to get the old desktop computer to invited, or at least tactfully accepted the new notebooks?
            • 3. RE: Which computer is the main computer (Admin PC)?
              BalaSGS
              Hi

Please follow the steps below on all the computer and then try to restarted the computer one by one and check if you are able to manage the network map

Step 1 - Stop the Network Agent on all computers of the network.
              1. From the Start menu, click Run.
              2. Type services.msc in the blank field and then click OK.
              3. Find the McAfee Network Agent on the list of services on the left.
              4. Right-click the service, and choose Stop.
              5. From the Start menu, click Run.
              6. Type %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\McAfee\MNA\NAData in the blank field and then click OK.
              7. Select and delete all of the data in the NAData folder.
              Step 2 - Restart the Network Agent only on the computer that will manage the network
              3. Find the McAfee Network Agent on the list of services on the left.
              4. Right-click the service, and choose Start.
              Step 3 - Restart the Network Agent on the remainder of the computers
              3. Find the McAfee Network Agent on the list of services on the left side.
              4. Right-click the service, and choose Start.
              Step 4 - Enable the managing computer to trust the network
              1. Open Security Center and choose Manage Network on the right.
              2. Answer Yes to This computer trusts the network.

Regards
              Bala
              • 4. Still having a problem
                Bala, thank you for your thoughtful reply, but I am still having a problem allowing my new notebooks Permission to join the network.

I am working with just two computers. Both are connected to the Internet through a DSL gateway. I want them to connect with each other, and with a network printer.

One is a desktop running Windows XP. It is connected to the gateway via an ethernet cable. McAfee has been installed on it for sometime. I would like to use this computer as the Admin. PC on the McAfee Managed Network.

The other is a notebook also running Windows XP. It connects to the Internet through the same gateway as the desktop only it uses 802.11G wireless protocol. I have installed McAfee Total Protection on this computer.

I have two more notebooks to add to the network once this one is installed properly. I purchased a 3 User license for McAfee Total protection for these notebooks. I have not been able to get the desktop computer to invite the notebook to join the network. Here's what I did since reading your replyed to my post:
                1) I stopped McAfee Network Agent service on the desktop PC, and on the notebook; put NDData file in the Recycle bin.
                2) I restart McAfee Network Agent on the desktop computer (Admin. PC) then on the notebook.
                3) On desktop PC (Admin. PC) l clicked on McAfee Security Center, Managed Network.

I expected to answer Yes to This computer trusts the network, but there was no such question. :confused: Instead it stated the ID for the notebook I am trying to connect, and said, "The connection status for this computer is not being monitored for the following reason:
                * The computer is not a member of the network
                * The computer is not a managed member of the network

To monitor the protection status for this computer, open Security Cenetr on a computer with management capabilities for this computer. Click Managed network, and on the network map click the icon representing this computer. Then click monitor this computer under I want to."

There is no network map :eek: Could there be something wrong with McAfee on the desktop PC sad

I ran a manual scan, did not find any virusus. I ran updates. There are no updates.
                There are no error messages. What is going on? sad
                • 6. Unable to display network map
                  I clicked on the link you sent and followed the instructions in the procedure, "Unable to manage the network map". Here is what happened:

Went to C:\ ; typed net stop mcnasve pressed ENTER
                  The reply was - SYSTEM ERROR 1060, THE SPECIFIED SERVICE DOESN'T EXIST AS AN INSTALLED SERVICE.

I then typed CD %appdata%\mcafee\MNA pressed ENTER
                  The reply was - SYSTEM ERROR 1060, THE SPECIFIED SERVICE DOESN'T EXIST AS AN INSTALLED SERVICE.

I then typed del NADATA, pressed ENTER
                  The reply was - could not find

sad
                  • 7. RE: Unable to display network map
                    Vinod R

2. Disconnect the computers from each other by powering off (or unplugging the power cord from) your network router or switch.
                    3. Run the Network Cleanup Tool on each computer on your network that was previously managed by McAfee.

Note: This tool cleans up incorrect, cached network information on each computer.

4. Power on (or plug in) your network router.
                    5. Restart the computer that you want to designate as the administrator of your network.

6. On the administrator computer, open the McAfee SecurityCenter and then click Manage Network.

Note: This computer automatically becomes the administrator on the managed network.

7. If prompted, choose to Trust the Network.
                    8. Restart the other computers on your network, and if prompted, select Trust the Network.
                    9. On the administrator computer, invite the other computers to join the managed network.