1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 5, 2009 6:06 AM by Peter M

Suggestion for McAfee: CHANGE the Update Error message!

SUGGESTION/REQUEST for McAfee: CHANGE the Update Error message!

You know the message, right? (Paraphrased) "There was an ERROR Installing your McAfee Updates. Please Reinstall the following software: McAfee Security Center"

So, what do you have to do to reinstall McAfee? Well, you first have to uninstall McAfee and then you have to run "MCPR.EXE" to remove all traces of McAfee. At least that's what I've read here about fifty times....

Well, what to you think happens if you are not aware that you HAVE a Virus, and in fact, that Virus PREVENTED the successful Update because it's preventing you from connecting to McAfee's site? I'll tell you what happens because it happened to me!

I unwittingly uninstalled (+ mcpr.exe) in preparation for the Reinstall prescribed by the McAfee Update Error message. Time for the Reinstall, right? WRONG. My VIRUS blocked my access to the download pages! It also blocked access to other sites that might hold a remedy, such as Kaspersky's. Clever virus. And here I was COMPLETELY vulnerable.

Incidentally, I WAS able to search FAQ's and this Forum and was able to get this possibility:

"Click on Start, Run, and type cmd.exe.
      In the command prompt window, type the command below and press ENTER:

ipconfig /all

If the DNS Servers entry displays 85.255.116.189 or 85.255.113.44, your computer has been infected and you should continue to the steps below. "

BINGO. The numbers were slightly different but the results were the same. I did the Flush/Renew over and over, but these numbers kept coming back! After a day and a half (times three machines) of trial and error, I finally got to a McAfee page that showed the URL of the file I needed and was able to get it only by using FlashGet.

Bottom Line to McAfee:

#1 - Please CHANGE the Update Error Message, so that countless others don't fall prey to the same misfortune.

#2 - Please make the necessary files available via FTP, like in the good old days. If such FTP Sites do exist now, please make the locations, etc. available to Subscribers!

Thank you for your time.