1 2 3 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2009 10:48 PM by Vinod R Branched to a new discussion.

Can't start manual virus scan

This is the continuation of a chat room session with Vinod on January 19, 2009.

McAfee Security Center was removed and re-installed per the last chat room suggestion, but I still can't start a scan manually. When I click the scan button it still returns to the HOME screen. I'm hoping we can pick up where we left off.

Thanks,

FH

Full text of chat follows:

> Thank you for contacting McAfee Consumer Support. How can I help you?
      Customer: Did you see what I wrote in the request?
      Vinod: Hi David, my name is Vinod and I will be assisting you today.
      Customer: Hi, I remember you from the forum.
      Vinod: David, please let me know the issue in detail.
      Customer: I can't start a scan manually. It just goes back to the home menu.
      Customer: On-line Technician couldnt find McAfee products on my computer. I re-installed about a week ago after getting an error message and having the same problem with On-line Technician. Seems to be updating and auto-scanning OK.
      Vinod: David, do not worry, I am here to help you.
      Vinod: David, I am happy to assist you with this issue. In order to assist you in a better way, I would like to gather basic technical information about your computer. You would receive a Pop Up . Please click on "OK" to provide me with this information.
      > representative Vinod has requested system information from customer Customer.
      > customer Customer has sent system information to representative Vinod.
      Vinod: Thank you for the information. I am happy to help you.
      Vinod: How do you currently connect to the Internet? (Dial-up, DSL, Cable, or Wireless)
      Customer: Cable
      Vinod: Thank you. Is there any error messages?
      Customer: No error messages from McAfee. When I hit the scan button it just goes back to the home menu.
      Vinod: To confirm, you are not able to do the Manual scan when you try to do it it just returns to the Home menu, am I right?
      Customer: Correct.
      Vinod: Thank you. Please run this tool. http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/IERegFix.bat
      Vinod: Once launched, you will be presented with press any key to continue. To execute, press any
      Customer: OK
      Customer: It's started.
      Vinod: Please let me know when you are done.
      Customer: It seems to have finished and the window is closed.
      Vinod: Thank you. Please try to scan now.
      Customer: Sorry, but no change.
      Vinod: Please open the McAfee Security Center and let me know the status of 1.Computer & Files 2. Internet & Network 3. Email & IM 4. Parental Controls.
      Customer: 1.Computer & Files - Protected 2. Internet & Network - Attention 3. Email & IM - Attention 4. Parental Controls - Attention.
      Customer: Further: 2. Identity Protection is not installed. 3. Spam protection is not installed. 4. Content blocking is not installed.
      Vinod: Please let me know is there any messages like 'signature files are outdated (8-29 day old)' or something?
      Customer: Not now. I've seen that one before though. My computer was hijacked last month by the malware that disables Windows updates and McAfee updates. I thought it was back to normal now.
      Vinod: Thank you. I found Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware' installed in your computer. Please uninstall it from Add/remove programs.
      Customer: OK, done.
      Vinod: Now please try to scan.
      Customer: Sorry, no change.
      Customer: I learned about MBAM on the McAfee Forum, trying to get my hijacking sorted. Is there a problem with it?
      Vinod: Then please try the same after the reboot. If still not solved then please uninstall and reinstall McAfee.If you have the issue remains unresolved then please come back to us.
      Vinod: Please try this steps then we may proceed with other steps.
      Customer: OK, I'll give it a try. Probably won't get back to you tonight though. Thanks for your help!
      Vinod: You are welcome. Is there anything else I may assist you with today?
      Customer: No thanks!
      Vinod: David, You may receive a survey from McAfee in the next couple of days that will give you an opportunity to provide feedback on the support I've offered. This information will be used to further improve our support. You may end this chat at your convenience. Thank you for contacting the McAfee Technical Support.

• 1. Re: Starting virus scan issues
          Hello,

With regards to your starting virus scan issues I can confirm there are numerous examples of the virus scan on the latest software release experincing problems like your own. I myself spent hours last night reinstalling all my mcafee software in an attempt to resolve a simular issue where my scan gets stuck at 98 percent and disables the pc, you can not even exit the scan and the only way to resolve is via the power btton on your pc.

After pulling my hair out last night trying to resolve this and even having to remove old keys from the registery to download the software again I finally found what I was looking for.

I downloaded the virtual advisor software from this site and although it could not find the software I had just download it did have a FAQ section - in that I found reference to existing issues with virus scan on the lastest software release and basicly the product is not compatible with microsoft service packs 1,2 and 3 - they do say however that they are working on a fix!

Now why release something that is full of bugs and that basicly leaves me and others with an expensive item of software that doesnt do what it says on the box - I can not run a virus check and thus mine and others pc / laptops are prone to attack.

I would expect the very least a big company like mcafee would do is let you reinstall the old working version of software you were running as this had no problems on my pc - infact the moment I did have my software automatically updated it it made windows do a full diagnostics check before booting up? very odd.

Also whats wrong with a good old email to let customers know of any information/bugs etc that may effect their software when situations like this arise?

I already have to put up with the software slowing my internet connection right down and making me wait 5 minutes until any updates are installed, but the latest bugs in the new software are really making my consider choosing a different product when I'm up for renewel in a few months - I did the same thing when Norton suite became unworkable.
          • 3. Re: Starting virus scan issues
            I'm using McAfee Security Center on another computer and it seems OK. The only difference I can see is that the other computer doesn't have McAfee SiteAdvisor. I hope someone from McAfee gets back to me to help sort it out.

FH
            • 4. Re: Starting virus scan issues
              Peter M
              Do the following. Make sure first that your system is totally up to date with all updates, both critical and non-critical and using Microsoft Updates - i.e. it gets updates for all software/hardware on your machine. It can be set that way under the Settings option.

Make sure that your system clock is accurate, both time and timezone-wise.

Make sure that Internet Explorer is set to the default settings under Internet Options/Security and Advanced and that the Content Advisor is turned off under the Content tab.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
              In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.

If you are McAfee direct customer, go to https://home.mcafee.com/Secure/Protected/Login.aspx and log in to download your McAfee products.

If you received your McAfee products from your service provider, please use the list below to download your software.

Comcast users should go to http://security.comcast.net/ and log in to download your software.

DELL users should go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=105 and log in to download your software.

Gateway users should go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=370 and log in to download your software.

eMachines users should go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=365 and log in to download your software.

MSN users should go to http://membercenter.msn.com/ and log in to download your software.

AOL users should go to http://daol.aol.com/safetycenter and log in to download your software.

Tobiasth/Greenback - you appear to be in Europe so your download link will be different.

If the problem continues after all this then check what other software you have onboard that may be clashing with McAfee. Basically that would be any protection software that has built-in protection and especially note that you should never run more than 1 anti-virus application and firewall at the same time. Several anti-spyware applications are fine as long as they aren't actively scanning constantly.

Check with Technical Support Chat again and this time ask them to escalate the issue.

Note that Technical Support Chat is a higher level of support than that which you will find here, so it's best to continue with that.
              • 5. RE: Can't start manual virus scan
                Peter M
                As a footnote. It has also been known for malware to prevent anti-virus scanners from working so it may behoove you to run a good anti-spyware applications such as the free version of this tool: http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
                • 7. RE: Can't start manual virus scan
                  Works fine for me now, try this!!!

IEFIX - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/utils/IEFix.zip

:rolleyes:
                  • 8. RE: Can't start manual virus scan
                    To Ex Brit,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I did the McAfee uninstall / re-install as suggested, but there was no change. It's actually the third time I've tried it, but I was hopeful that resetting IE and manually cleaning out any residual McAfee folders and files would make a difference. Actually, when I looked for McAfee "residue" after running MCPR, I couldn't find any. I even used the Windows search tool.

So no change yet.

As an aside, I had MBAM on the computer and ran it several times prior to chatting with Vinod. The computer was clean according to MBAM and McAfee. (The auto scan runs -- I just can't start a scan manually.) Vinod suggested I remove MBAM, so I did.

I also appreciated hearing from MyITGuy and tobiasth. I downloaded IEFix and read the README, but I didn't run it yet. I haven't noticed the IE problems described in the README. Do you think IEFix is the next step?

Thanks,

FH
                    • 9. RE: Can't start manual virus scan
                      Peter M
                      Well, anything that "fixes" IE is good for the McAfee Security Center as it is, in fact, an IE page, albeit slightly different from a regular webpage.

While you are at it do the following:

If you are running Internet Explorer 7 go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click the Reset button. OK and exit, close and reopen IE7.
                      You will have to-enable all the browser add-ons.

If Internet Explorer 6 - go to Tools/Internet Options..
                      General tab: clear cookies, history and temporary files
                      Security tab: set all zones to default
                      Content tab: disable Content Advisor
                      Advanced tab: set to default. OK and exit.

Scan you machine for malware using the free version of this tool: http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

If all that fails to help then try this tool:

run IEREGFIX - http://download.mcafee.com/products/...s/IERegFix.bat
                      and then IEFIX - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/utils/IEFix.zip

As I said, I would return to the Tech Support Chat and ask them to escalate this.
                      1 2 3 Previous Next