2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2010 2:19 PM by StanP6

False Trojan Error

Hello,

I am using McAfee Security Center 9.0 and have a problem. It is incorrectly reporting the following file as a generic trojan: LB2.exe

This is an old helicopter simulation game.

When I try to restore, it immediately finds the file and removes it. Also, when I try to send to McAfee, I get network problem.

Can you please investigate and advise?

Thanks

Here are my system specs:

Q9450 Quad Core Processor @ 2.66ghz
      4GB OZC RAm @ 1066ghz
      Windows Vista (32bit)
        • 1. Re: RE: False Trojan Error
          Peter M

First you will have to disable VirusScan temporarily in order to get the game to install.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center.

Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)

Click Configure (left)

Click Computer & Files (top left)

You can disable VirusScan in the right-hand module and tell it for how long to stay that way.

You would have to submit the files to Avert labs to be tested and it they email you back that it is a bad file, immediately respond to that email with a rebuttal and explain exactly what it is. Make sure the header includes the case ID #.

Send a file to Avert for analysis:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx

or

https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp

or

Email file to: virus_research@avertlabs.com

When submitting samples via E-mail all samples must be packaged in a .ZIP file. When creating this .ZIP file, it is important to understand that the .ZIP can be no more than 3 megabytes in size and can contain no more than 30 files. Additionally, any .ZIP file created must be password-protected using the password "infected" (minus the ""). Failure to follow these guidelines will cause your submission to be rejected.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/03/10 3:26:09 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: RE: False Trojan Error

There's another way to get around the false trojan error. What's happening is that McAfee is comparing the names of the files on your hard drive to a list of the names of known virus threats. The trick is to install your program with Virus Scanning turned off. Then, rename the file that McAfee doesn't like. After that you can turn Virus Scanning back on and McAfee won't recognize it. This will only work if the "bad" file is the main executable that you use to run the program, but this is usually the case. You will have to manually create a shortcut pointing to the executable to run the program, or you can find it in the directory where it resides on your hard drive each time, and double click it to run the program.