2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2009 3:54 AM by joost.bijl

Vista business SP2 and Safeboot 5130

Hi,

I'm running Vista Business SP2 EN with Safeboot (file versions are 5,1,3,0).

After installing Windows updates using the "Windows update" program in Vista i sometimes (about half of the times) go into an endless reboot loop:

- Safeboot pre-boot auth shows up and i log in
      - Vista boots saying "Please wait"
      - Sometimes i see "Configuring updates..."
      - Vista shuts down and reboots nicely: "Shutting down..."

Now i have to decrypt the disk using Wintech, use a rescue CD to go back to a restore point, install the updates without safeboot, and encrypt again.

This is quite a bit of a hassle happy Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?

Perhaps it's worth mentioning i also have F-Secure Client Security installed. The laptop is a Dell E6500

with regards,
      Joost
        • 1. RE: Vista business SP2 and Safeboot 5130
          Our company had a number of issues when we deployed the e6400 with MEE 5.1.6 (I think that was build 5400 or 5420 or some such thing).

First, make sure that your machine group in the Admin Console is not configured to "Force USB." That option needs to be "unchecked" prior to installation on the e6400, and included in the install set in that "unchecked" state. Before we un-checked that option, our machines would get stuck in endless boot loop.

Second, make sure that your e-series machine is configured in BIOS to run in SATA / ATA mode rather than IRRT. MEE did not support IRRT (in my experience) until later revisions (5.1.7?). Leaving IRRT enabled caused our machines to get stuck at the "Starting SafeBoot" screen until we changed the drive mode (as soon as we changed drive mode in BIOS, the machine started successfully).

Third, I understand that some people have needed to enable the "detect number of OS sides" option in MEE as well. We have not, but might be worth a mention.
          • 2. RE: Vista business SP2 and Safeboot 5130
            Update: i have installed version 5180 AND have succesfully installed 10 updates!

it looks like an update does the trick wink