3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2009 4:20 AM by user66

Virus update every day-makes puter slow to snail speed

Lately, Security Center has been installing updates EVERY DAY! They install correctly, but it makes Internet Explorer slow doen to a snail's pace. When it is installing, it takes 5 minutes for a web page to load! It also slows down like this when doing a scan. Any idea about how I can resolve this.

I have XP-Service Pack 3.
        • 1. RE: Virus update every day-makes puter slow to snail speed
          I'm glad someone else mentioned this! I asked Macafee Support about it and they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I can understand why scanning the whole computer takes up a lot of resources and slows things down, but why should it take so long to 'update' the virus data? I think what happens is that Macafee makes your computer reinstall the entire thing every time they update - instead of just adding the new virus data. That would explain why it takes so long and slows down the computer for a few minutes.
          Anyone else got any ideas about this, and why Macafee can't figure out a way to do their almost daily updates a bit more efficiently?
          • 2. RE: Virus update every day-makes puter slow to snail speed

I cannot explain why your computer slows down as much as it does - I do not see the same happening on my PC. (I'm running Windows XP on an Core 2 Duo 6320 @ 2GHz with 2 GB of memory).

There's an update for VS every day, except weekends. If it actually does an installation (this rarely happens), you will be asked to reboot the PC.

A complete "virus definition" download is about 95 MB, I believe. I can only assume therefor that updates are incremental.
            • 3. RE: Virus update every day-makes puter slow to snail speed
              It must be doing a complete download instead of an incremental one on my computer. Mine is also 2GHz but only 504 MB of RAM.