1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 2, 2008 9:25 AM by Peter M

Download difficulty

I just bought the new 9.0 version both download and disk (don't have yet) because it was offered from McAfee via secure email to me on sale. After I made payment which shows on my bank statement, and I have printed McAfee receipt, I went to my account and it showed that I had programs to download.

I clicked on the download button - like usual - got the prompts to run, not save. clicked on that. got the 2nd message to run. did that. But I never got any indication that it actually installed or is running. According to the 'about' note, I'm still on the running the previous version and my system gave no indicators that new programs were installed.

I fully protected with my current version, but I don't want it to do the automatic renewal thing (guess I could trun that off until this get resolved) and charge me again at the regular price when I bought early to get the deal.

What's the problem? Should be simple. Any ideas?:confused:
        • 1. RE: Download difficulty
          Peter M
          There may be corrupted files as the download should have given you a proper setup and install screen.

Enable Windows Firewall to afford protection through the next few steps. You should disable it afterwards, if McAfee installer hasn't already done so automatically.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
          In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

If you can't find any such files and folders don't worry - MCPR did its job well.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.

If you are McAfee direct customer, go to https://home.mcafee.com/Secure/Protected/Login.aspx and log in to download your McAfee products.

As far as auto-renewal of accounts goes that is beyond the scope of this forum and you would have to deal with Customer Service directly. Link 2nd from left at the top of this page. You can phone toll-free or chat online.