1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2008 4:39 AM by Peter M

Need to update from US site, not UK... how?

A long time ago there were problems with a McAfee upgrade and it was recommended by a McAfee tech or forum moderator to update from a UK url because it had not yet rolled out the problematic upgrade. I'd forgotten about it and realized now my updates are still coming from the UK website. (My McAfee protection is a benefit of subscribing to Comcast.)

How can I go about changing the URL to the US website? I've forgotten how I changed it to the UK since it was so long ago.

Thank you.
        • 1. RE: Need to update from US site, not UK... how?
          Peter M
          First enable Windows Firewall until all this is finished.

Do the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
          In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

Don't worry if you can't find any such files or folders...it means that MCPR did a thorough job, that's all.

4. Delete all your cookies, history, temporary internet files, form data and passwords in Internet Explorer Tools/Internet Options.

5. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site, not from any CD that you may have.

If you are McAfee direct customer, go to https://home.mcafee.com/Secure/Protected/Login.aspx and log in to download your McAfee products.

If you received your McAfee products from your service provider, please use the list below to download your software.

Comcast users should go to http://security.comcast.net/ and log in to download your software.

DELL users should go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=105 and log in to download your software.

Gateway users should go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=370 and log in to download your software.

eMachines users should go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=365 and log in to download your software.

MSN users should go to http://membercenter.msn.com/ and log in to download your software.

AOL users should go to http://daol.aol.com/safetycenter and log in to download your software.
          • 2. RE: Need to update from US site, not UK... how?
            Hi Peter,

Thanks for the quick response.

The only problem I anticipate with that is that I'll apparently lose my legacy Spamkiller when using the MCPR tool. Although I need to replace it since I'm having problems rescuing messages in certain circumstances, I haven't found anything else yet to use.

Is there a workaround, perhaps, or will the MCPR tool allow me to keep Spamkiller?

Thanks!
            • 3. RE: Need to update from US site, not UK... how?
              Peter M
              The MCPR tool isn't selective, it will remove all programmes. The download will most likely give you the 2009 products which include Anti-Spam 2009, depending on your package of course.

I strongly advise against mixing and matching versions, if that's what I understand you are doing.

Perhaps you should hold off until I ask a few questions. But first I would need to know exactly what versions of everything are installed right now.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center then click "About" or "View Details" at the bottom right. Post the version numbers from each module. You may have to use the down arrow in the lower right-hand corner to see them all.
              • 4. RE: Need to update from US site, not UK... how?
                My Spamkiller was a product I purchased before McAfee purchased that company, I believe. It was a standalone product at the time.

I'm not able to determine from the Comcast website if Spamkiller is included. It has never been downloaded as part of the package Comcast provides to its subscribers, and it wasn't mentioned on the demo video I viewed earlier today.

Here are the version numbers of what I do have:

Security Center, version 9.0
                Virus Scan, version 13.0
                Personal Firewall, version 10.0

I've always gotten an alert that my phishing protection is out of date, but I've never clicked the "Fix" button since I assumed it was a paid version and I'm okay with my old version except for now not being able to rescue the messages (due to relaying problems, I think).

Thanks again.
                • 5. RE: Need to update from US site, not UK... how?
                  Peter M
                  OK, you have the latest verison of Security Center but it appears that you only have the basic security package from Comcast.
                  They do a Security Suite here: http://www.comcast.net/Security/SecSuiteSSO/

On the right of that page is a link to speak directly with a live Comcast technician. You'll have to ask them what it includes.

That version of Spamkiller must be ancient....have you any idea of its version number?

If there is a red icon on the taskbar right-click it and go to Spamkiller/About...I think\ that is the way to check for that. You may, depending on its age, need a seperate removal tool as well as the aforementioned tool.
                  (HERE).
                  • 6. RE: Need to update from US site, not UK... how?
                    Thanks for the information. I tried the link for Chat, but first it kicked me off the page and closed it, then the second attempt it wanted me to download something for the Chat and I don't want to download anything like that from Comcast. I clicked the support link at the top menu on that page, but it brought me to these forums.

My spamkiller version is 2.9, apparently from 2002. It's definitely ancient. I've always just killed everything and rescued what I wanted, so it worked for my purposes. I think the reason I can't rescue from some of my accounts now is due to Comcast and relaying. I primarily use email from my own domains through a webhost, and not Comcast's email.

I looked at the PDF overview for the Security Suite and there's just a mention of pfishing, not anything about killing spam.

That's good to know about Security Suite though so I can install that instead. I'll still have to figure out what to do since I don't want to lose SpamKiller just yet as it does work properly for at least one account.

Thanks!
                    • 7. RE: Need to update from US site, not UK... how?
                      Peter M
                      You probably have to disable pop-up blockers to enable the Chat client to work properly plus it would probably have needed to download an ActiveX component in order to function anyway, but it's up to you. Call them at 1-800-COMCAST, as I stated previously.

That version of Spamkiller is so old it isn't even supported and we have no FAQ's or anything to guide us on it.

The tool at the end of my last post may remove it after trying the regular method via the Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs, and should be run before the general removal tool anyway.

As I said running mixed versions can spell trouble so isn't advisable.
                      • 8. RE: Need to update from US site, not UK... how?
                        Peter M
                        Last thought..if Comcast don't offer spamkiller as part of the package then you only option other than the status quo is to buy a package from McAfee directly.
                        • 9. RE: Need to update from US site, not UK... how?
                          the mcafee for comcast does not offer the spamkiller with the suite but you can download it seperately on this link http://www.comcast.net/security/mcafee/antispam/

however, recently, there have been technical issues with the suite itself and the spamkiller that's why comcast users cannot download the spamkiller at this time(sorry). You need to choose 1, either the suite or the spamkiller. Last update that i got was, it would be fix early next year(not sure though) and also at that time the 2009 version will be available already for comcast users.

hope this helps...
                          1 2 Previous Next