6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2009 4:55 PM by R3k1awyk5

question about how safeboot affects the hard drive

If I have safeboot installed on a hard drive and I put a ghost image over it, do I have an encrypted hard drive with an new image? Or does the reimaging somehow decrypt the hard drive?

I have safeboot installed on a laptop; I'm trying to uninstall it using the safeboot recovery CD but am having problems. I'm thinking of starting from scratch and using the laptop's recovery CD ... but not if it leaves my hard drive encrypted.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
        • 1. RE: question about how safeboot affects the hard drive
          the image will overwrite the encrypted sectors, so you'll have a plain text drive again where the image is, and encrypted outside the size of the image.

you'll need to make sure the image software puts a good boot sector in place, otherwise you'll still get the EEPC boot loader.

If you want to remove EEPC, do it the proper way and set the policy in the EEM to remove so it can sync and decrypt properly - of course, if you don't care about the decryption, just blow the image over the top.

all this of course assumes you have the >right< to remove the protection. If it was applied by your company than you may want to think about keeping your machine encrypted.
          • 2. RE: question about how safeboot affects the hard drive
            Hi, thanks for getting back to me. The problem is that I installed safeboot offline, but using an online install set. It's not seeing the database to sync. Otherwise, I would do it properly but I'm thinking troubleshooting the synchronization problem may take more time than just rebuilding the OS.
            • 3. RE: question about how safeboot affects the hard drive
              if you used an online install set, and it's not synced, then it can't be encrypted either...

what error is it throwing? It can't be anything difficult as really it can only be an auth or connection issue, or the group you created the install set for has been deleted.
              • 4. RE: question about how safeboot affects the hard drive
                You are right - the hard drive is not encrypted. It's both a connection and an authentication issue. the safeboot status window shows a failure to connect with the db - even though the db server is up. So that's one problem. Then when I boot off the safeboot recovery CD, I can't authenticate to the db server. When I attempt to authenticate from SBFS, I get the error: 0xe0050001 safeboot client not activated. Which makes sense, considering I can't connect to the db.
                • 5. RE: question about how safeboot affects the hard drive
                  I can't understand why you would want to rebuild the OS? You won't be able to use the WinTech, because the client is not active - the only thing in place is the application, no protection or encryption at all.

It can't be both a connection and auth issue - it can't even try the auth if it can't connect... post a sync event from the client log so we can see exactly what's (not) going on..
                  • 6. RE: question about how safeboot affects the hard drive
                    R3k1awyk5
                    I would take a look at the SDMCFG.ini file on the client to make sure it a) exists and b) matches the one on your server.

Also, don't know if your client is a laptop that needs to connect to your network by a VPN-type connection, but that's something to look at.

If it were me, I would try to work through your connection issue, rather than reimage your machine. But if you want to uninstall SafeBoot, and it hasn't encrypted yet, you should be able to use "SbSetup -uninstall" from the command line to do it.