1 2 3 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2008 3:02 AM by socomkilla

Security centre not protected

For a few months now, almost everytime I turn my computer on it comes up with my computer and files and email and IM are not protected. It takes up to 30 minutes some days if not longer to fix the problem.

I checked my log viewer this morning and at the time that my computer wasnt protected there had been another unsolicited connection attempt. The ISP number is the same number that has attempted to connect to my computer 17 times in the last month. The event information includes stuff like Socks, MCS Fastmail, Installation bootstrap, Plato License Manager, bruce, Optiwave License Manager, Stargatealerts and connection attempts to 10 UDP ports.

Is there a way to fix it so that my protection is always on. Are there any other programs that are compatable to run with McAfee to ensure better protection such as Spybot or something. I downloaded a Malware program yesterday to check my computer and it came back all clean. I really am having lots of problems with my McAfee program.
        • 1. RE: Security centre not protected
          matrixluke

What are the McAfee programs installed in your computer?

What is message that is written in the right pane McAfee window(Security Center?/ What is the reason that Mcafee shows for not being protected?
          • 2. RE: Security centre not protected
            I have the following programs installed:

Security Centre 9.0
            Virusscan 13.0
            Firewall 10.0
            Siteadvisor 2.6
            Anti-spam 10.0
            Parental Controls 11.0
            Easy Network 3.0
            Back up and Restore 3.0

The message that normally come up are the following:

Real time scanning is disabled
            Spyware is disabled
            IM scanning is disabled
            Script scanning is disabled
            Buffer overflow is disabled

After clicking fix, it normally takes a few times to correct the problem since a message box comes up with "One or more problems cannot be fixed due to an error".

It happens almost everytime the computer is turned on and almost everytime after updating it comes up with the computer is not protected.
            • 3. RE: Security centre not protected
              matrixluke

It seems like a Spyware infection

Try this

Download Malwarebytes ' Anti-Malware from http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe or http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebyt...are_d5756.html Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
              * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
              * Once the program has loaded, select Perform Full Scan, then click Scan.
              * The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
              * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
              * Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
              * When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart (see Extra Note below).
              * The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
              * Copy & paste the entire report into your next reply.

Extra Note:
              If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
              • 4. RE: Security centre not protected
                I downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program yesterday after having another problem and it came back with the all-clear. Nothing was detected. Should I re-run it or maybe try another program?

I have decided to re run the program and see if it comes up with anything else. Will let you know how it goes.
                • 5. RE: Security centre not protected
                  matrixluke

Good luck.
                  • 6. RE: Security centre not protected
                    I ran the full scan. Yesterday, I only ran the quick scan but even with the full scan, nothing turned up at all. It came up clean as well. Is there anything else I should do?
                    • 7. RE: Security centre not protected
                      also try running the free super anti-spyware from here:

www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
                      • 8. RE: Security centre not protected
                        I'm having the same issue. It pops up and says it's not protected. I scanned for malware/spyware nothing came up, uninstalled security center, ran the mcafee removal tool, reinstalled it and it still happens.
                        • 9. RE: Security centre not protected

I ran the anti-spyware and 12 tracking cookies were found. They have been quarantined. I am not sure whether I should remove them though.

While the scan was running however, McAfee alerted me to an attempted registry change. It said:

Systemguards - setup items
                          Win32 Cabinet Self-extractor
                          Location - C:documents and settings\username\local settings\temp\rbSolnUpdateENU.3.2.0.exe.

I blocked it because I wasnt sure. Is this a legitimate change or something else?
                          1 2 3 Previous Next