1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2008 3:26 PM by Peter M

"McAfee VirusMap Reporting module" error

At each and every reboot since a few days (might be since the update to SC 9.0, but unsure), one of our Vista machines flashes a Windows message saying (in German, actually) that McAfee VirusMap Reporting module has been closed. And that we'll be informed when a solution will be available. Any hint?
        • 1. RE: "McAfee VirusMap Reporting module" error
          Peter M
          Not sure you are reporting this in the right place...what product are you discussing here, Home, Small Business or Enterprise?

If home products then open Security Center and click "About" (bottom right) and post the details.

Is that Vista machine linked to the internet differently than the others?

Try running the Virtual Technician linked in my signature and see what it says, assuming home products.
          • 2. RE: "McAfee VirusMap Reporting module" error

Huh? I'm talking about Security Center 9.0. Well and Vista Ultimate. Here you have the message:

And the details (although they are copied from another machine, but which should have the same set-up. The affected machine is in another part of the building. It is linked to the Internet via the same router and switch. I can't access it physically today, I'm afraid. But I'll look into your proposition asap.

• 3. RE: "McAfee VirusMap Reporting module" error
              Peter M
              OK, did you install Windows in German or get McAfee from a German source? Windows seems to think you speak German and to do that it would have had to be told to use German at some stage.

In Vista go to Control Panel/Clock Language and Region/Regional & Language Options/Change Display Language and make sure it is set correctly.

As you are in Switzerland I suppose your machine could be set to any of 4 languages.

If McAfee is corrupted then I would suggest the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
              2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
              3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
              In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
              Don't worry if you find none.
              4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site, not from any CD that you may have.
              For Switzerland take your pick from the list here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=216782
              • 4. RE: "McAfee VirusMap Reporting module" error
                Peter M
                Sorry for questioning what type of products you were using....we get many Corporate product users posting here incorrectly.
                • 5. RE: "McAfee VirusMap Reporting module" error
                  Thanks a lot for the help! We ("we" are a family, not a company happy are living in the German-speaking part of Switzerland, so it is the whole of Windows which is speaking German here. But McAfee's software is downloaded/installed in English.

I'll try the reinstall and let you know.
                  • 6. RE: "McAfee VirusMap Reporting module" error
                    Peter M
                    That would explain the Windows message. At first I thought that was the problem. Anyway, an uninstall, cleanup and reinstall as suggested should fix it.
                    • 7. RE: "McAfee VirusMap Reporting module" error

Well. It's weird. I have done the whole thing twice and now the system looks okay, but I'm still unsure. The thing is, the error message came *during the installation* of McAfee (after a complete clean-up by the book). During the installation of Virusscan to be more precise. I cliqued it away and after a while the installation went on normally.

After the first uninstall/cleanup/install, the error message came also just after a reboot, like before. Now, the machine stays quiet after a reboot. I also could run a quick scan which found (absolutely) nothing to complain about. Only difference between both tests: I uninstalled google toolbar (because I had an weird error message about it while quitting IE7 the first time).

I can't make more tests right now. I'll come back here if the story goes on.
                      • 8. RE: "McAfee VirusMap Reporting module" error
                        Peter M
                        That's strange. I use Google Toolbar in both IE7 and Firefox 3 as it has some useful features that are lacking in the built-in versions. But I have't had the issues you've experienced.
                        • 9. RE: "McAfee VirusMap Reporting module" error
                          I have google toolbar installed on all our Vista machines here (4) and only that one had the problem. There sure is something else. That machine has a Citrix Client too. And 2 HDD, one used only to back-up the first one (with Windows built-in software).

But have a look at this: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?p=536352
                          1 2 Previous Next