Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
3555 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2010 5:32 PM by David87124 RSS
Newcomer 3 posts since
Aug 21, 2004
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 12, 2008 7:02 PM

Cannot install DMSetup.exe

I recently renewed my Virus Scan Plus but I have been unable to install or run DMSetup.exe. Rather I get an error report message every time. It indicates that the error is with iexplore.exe.

I updated my Internet Explorer, but still have the same problem.

I have Windows XP.--RD.
  • vinod_r2 McAfee Mentor 3,126 posts since
    Feb 15, 2008
    1. Oct 12, 2008 7:05 PM (in response to R.D.)
    RE: Cannot install DMSetup.exe

What is the error message that you get

You may have to re-install Internet explorer but try this and this before that and see if it helps

Regards
    VR
  • vinod_r2 McAfee Mentor 3,126 posts since
    Feb 15, 2008
    3. Oct 19, 2008 2:53 AM (in response to R.D.)
    RE: Cannot install DMSetup.exe
    If its an XP computer with Internet explorer 6

click on start
    select run
    type

%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe and hit enter

Regards
    VR
  • David87124 Newcomer 32 posts since
    Nov 26, 2009
    5. Nov 24, 2010 5:32 PM (in response to R.D.)
    Re: Cannot install DMSetup.exe

I have Window XP Home on one machine, Windows XP Professional on the second, and Windows Vista Premium on number three. All run IE 8. All have run McAfee Total Protection 2010 with no problems the last year - except of course the early adoptor "missing features error" which was resolved on subsequent updates.

I have a similar problem with Total Protection 2011

On computer number one, XP Home Sp3 I followed the install instructions, did remove prevous version, and I did shutdown all Windows programs running in the background. The intall failed but Virtual Technician offered to fix the problem.It removed Ad-Aware and perhaps another program. After this the attempted install crashed again.

Once I rebooted I found I had the Lsdelete Program not working skipping Auto Check error. With some experimentation I found that reloading Ad-Aware 2007 removed the error. Removing AdAware, which had never caused a problem with Total Protection 2010, the error message reappeared.

In any case - have been unable to find a way to load from my 2011 disk, or by downloading from McAfee site. DMSetup has a conflict with something, I asume a Lava Soft leftover, on the computer. The McAfee removal tool reports it is already running so cannot load - can't tell is this is a separate problem or the root cause.

I need a solution - While I have a new 3 computer license for TP 2011, my Total Protection 2010 license expires tomorrow - LOL

Computer number two. I did not follow all the instruction. I used Windows to Remove all Lavasoft products. I did remove the old McAfee 2010 myself. I did use the removal tool. I didn't let McAfee do anything for me. The intallation went smoothly. It had IE 8 before and after installation. This one has XP Pro Sp3.

I was under the impression that Total Protection 2010 and Total Protection 2011 used the same engine. However I get the impression that the DMSetup intaller has some compatibility issues with software not seen before.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)