1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2008 8:43 AM by Peter M

McShield.exe is killing microsoft apps

Any help on this one appreciated:

I downloaded McAfee Total Protection 9.0 last week after deciding my freeware virus & firewall applications were too annoying given the volume of viruses being sent these days. I have a Windows XP Pro machine with SP2.

On rebooting the machine I saw the usual XP desktop which then kept blanking out. :confused: After a bit of investigation, (btw the free technical support is next to useless - they just tell you to get the latest version of any other software on your machine sad ), I found out that the McAfee process McShield.exe kept killing the critical explorer program just after it started, which explained my desktop blanking out.

If I killed the McShield process, I could then run explorer, and it stayed running when McShield restarted itself. :eek:

The odd thing is, this happens to all microsoft programs such as outlook, excel, word etc, but no other programs, so I'm wondering if it linked to how these programs are launched.

To keep my computer alive, I have to kill the McShield process, & start all my microsoft programs, and then everything runs fine when McShield refires up.

I upgraded my XP to SP3 and reinstalled all McAfee software but the same things is happening. Has Total Protection 9.0 been completed checked for bugs?

Any help out there??????
        • 1. RE: McShield.exe is killing microsoft apps
          Peter M
          Yes it has been checked and I have it running totally bug free on both XP Pro SP3 (32-bit) and Vista Ultimate SP1 (32-bit).

You have upgraded to SP3 you say and I hope that you did not have IE8 installed prior to that, as that could be causing the problems.

Did you remove the old protection software using whatever removal tools they provide?

It's illogical to think that any protection software would interfere with normal Windows processes, so there has to be something else at play here, such as conflicting software, see this list: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=307274&lc=1033&partner=10005&type= TS
          It's for the 2008 products but gives you an idea.

What browser are you using and is it set to default settings?

Is Windows Firewall off? Any other protection software installed?

You say that technical support is no good, you know that they can escalate a problem to higher levels, something we can only do indirectly (via them)?

All I can suggest right now is to competely uninstall, cleanup and reinstall:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
          2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
          3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
          In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
          4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site, NOT from any CD that you may have.
          • 2. RE: McShield.exe is killing microsoft apps
            Peter M
            You might also want to check for malware by using the free version of this tool: http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
            • 3. RE: McShield.exe is killing microsoft apps
              thanks Peter

I must admit I am close to giving up with my McAfee adventure. Reading through these forums it seems that there a quite a few machine "states" where it does not function, and reading the registry recommendations, it does not clean up after itself properly on an uninstall.

I am sure I did everything correctly twice over, so yes to removing old software, no to having anything on the banned list, I have run a few malware finders, I have IE7 on the machine but I used bog standard Firefox in daily use.

Regarding the free help, I have gone through 5 days worth of email help & chatline help. The email help told me to try the chat line help, and I tried 3 different chatline helps who told me they simply could not help me once they ascertained that everything was installed correctly. There was no offer of escalation at any time, and I could precieve no expertise beyond running the "virtual technician". I couldn't even get the number for the paid help line from the website - I think it was supposed to send me an email with the secret phone number. I find this all pretty poor for a product that I have paid over £50 for, as it nearly wrecked my machine usage by repeatedly killing my explorer process.

Sorry to moan on but I am pretty frustrated with the whole process....
              • 4. RE: McShield.exe is killing microsoft apps
                Vinod R
                Did you mean the explorer.exe is killed or the focus on an excel file or word is shifted?
                • 5. RE: McShield.exe is killing microsoft apps
                  Hi vinod

thanks for the interest.

The explorer.exe process is killed leaving me looking at a blank screen. I could only restart it when I used Task Manager to kill the McShield.exe process & then launch explorer.exe before it restarted again.

But when the McShield.exe process restarted itself it did not then kill the explorer.exe process, so I can continue to use the computer. The same pattern follows for all microsoft programs such as word, outlook ,excel etc. So I think it must be something to do with the launching process for the microsoft software :confused:

The good news is I have just got an email offering an escalation phone call ....
                  • 6. RE: McShield.exe is killing microsoft apps
                    Peter M
                    I would be interested to know the outcome of this as I think it is way beyond my technical skills.
                    • 7. RE: McShield.exe is killing microsoft apps
                      I did get a little excited there & waited by the phone - but no call .....:mad:
                      • 8. RE: McShield.exe is killing microsoft apps
                        Vinod R
                        Hmmm.... well i guess normally the call is given in 24-48hrs of the email... i dunno the exact time though
                        • 9. RE: McShield.exe is killing microsoft apps
                          in the email they asked me to provide them with a 2hr hour window when I could take the call (which i got excited). But no call came
                          1 2 Previous Next