5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2009 1:49 PM by Peter M

Cannot disable alert messages

I intentionally did not install the Site checker and Virus Scanner products in Mcafee Security Center 2009. I only want the firewall.

I constantly get alert messages stating that I'm not protected. :mad:

These are my settings.
      http://caedis.net/files/2009/07/annoyingmcafee.jpg
        • 1. RE: Cannot disable alert messages
          Peter M
          By Site Checker I assume you mean SiteAdvisor. That's optional so wont effect Security Center's behaviour.

VirusScan, however, is regarded as an essential component of any of the retail packages & has to be installed to avoid those alerts. Which means you would have to uninstall any other anti-virus that you may be using.
          Only certain applications are available as separate packages and VirusScan or Firewall Plus are not.

Out of interest what other anti-virus are you using instead of VirusScan?

It is fine to use extra anti-spyware however. There are a few free ones we recommend listed here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=136913
          • 2. RE: Cannot disable alert messages
            I don't use virus scanners, rather I sandbox all applications that are potential virus vectors using a program called "Sandboxie".

Once malware infects your system you cannot trust anything your doing. If you delete the virus using a virus scanner your only putting a band-aid on a bullet wound. It's only delaying the inevitable. A compromised system can't be trusted. The only permanent fix is a full drive formatting.

I am a IT Security Analyst so I understand this is not for everyone. Average users should have a virus scanner and firewall. But for me, running anti-virus processes 24/7 is a waste of processors cycles and battery life. Behavior is 99% of your security.
            • 3. RE: Cannot disable alert messages
              Peter M
              Then the best solution for you is not to choose anything that is part of a suite. All McAfee home products are part of a suite with at least VirusScan being a compulsory installation.
              • 4. RE: Cannot disable alert messages

Yeah, I'm evaluating some different options. I heard good things about Mcafee's firewall solution but it doesn't appear to be granular enough to support stand alone operation.

Oh well, thanks anyway.
                • 5. RE: Cannot disable alert messages
                  Peter M
                  You're welcome.