This content has been marked as final. Show 6 replies
Oh well, I fixed my own problem.
Apparently after my laptop had got a malware about 3 1/2 weeks ago, it apparently went in and changed my TCP/IP property settings to 2 distinct DSN's. I reset it back to "Obtain DNS server address automatically".
Thanks for the heads-up on the follow up program scans. I just finished the MalWarebytes' and it found 11 instances of the trojan trail. It looks like McAfee's Stinger didn't do a complete job. It is always hard to tell what Stinger does, because he doesn't show anything for results. Stinger did get me going, though.
The registry had the data bytes of what I found the "preferred and alternate DNS's" set at. Apparently they were what were keeping me from getting to malware, antivirus and antispyware programs when I first got the bug.
I will be letting the Superantispyware run while I sleep tonight.
Thanks again for the come-back.
Stinger is really a dumbed-down version of VirusScan designed to tackle certain infections only. Let me know how things are.
When I got the 11 hits with Malwarebytes, I had only ran the quick scan. This morning I ran Superantispyware and it found 537 cookie items in docs, so I ignored those. I then reran Malwarebytes full scan and did not find anything else. It did indicate a "PUP" with one of my code-breaker programs, so I ignored that also. I believe I'm OK now.
OK, good luck.