7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2009 7:51 AM by Ex_Brit RSS

Cannot open Security Center

Hello guys,

can anybody help me with the following issue:

I have Vista Home premium, and after installing reinstalling the Mcafee few days ago i keep receiving the following message when i try to open security center- The version of SecurityCenter that is installed on your computer is designed for a different operating system. I had a mcafee product pre-installed so it should work. The dmsetup is downloaded from the site (last version) and I use IE 7. Virtual tecnician doesn't fix it. Dos anybody knows how to deal with this issue?

Thank you in advance!
        • 1. RE: Cannot open Security Center
          Ex_Brit
          What McAfee product and version did you have installed? Also have you told Windows to run any of McAfee's executable files in compatablilty mode or as Administrator?

Is this Vista SP1 by the way?

If it was any of the current home products then it's probably corrupted somehow and you should do the following?

Enable Windows Firewall until this is done.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
          In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
          If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site NOT from any CD that you may have.
          • 2. RE: Cannot open Security Center
            Hi,

thank you so much for answering me. Unfortunately I already tried to reinstall, cleaning absolutely any trace of the mcafee product (i used mcpr, cleaned cookies, cache, appdata, anything) with no result. Firewall and Defender was disabled, I had no problems running dmsetup. Security center should be the last version, since i've downloaded it from the site. Is Sp1. I did not actually know what is the compatibility mode
            • 3. RE: Cannot open Security Center
              Ex_Brit
              This is strange, let me flag this for help. Meanwhile your other avenue for suppoirt is Technical Support Chat linked at top left of this page or in my signature.

One thing you could do please, before I ask for help, run the Virtual Technician, linked in my signature and post the session ID#.
              • 4. cannot execute Virtual techniciamn
                I'm sorry, I cannot execute it anymore. It gives me and error and close
                • 5. RE: cannot execute Virtual techniciamn
                  Ex_Brit
                  OK, I'll ask for help. In the meanwhile run the free versions of these two anti-spyware tools and let them clean everything they find:

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
                  http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Also, in Internet Explorer...

If you are using IE7 or 8 go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset. Then click Apply and OK. Close IE and reopen it. Re-enable all add-ons under Tools/Manage Add-Ons.

Check that your operating system is totally up to date with both critical and non-critical updates and that you have the latest Java and Flash players installed & uninstall any older versions.

Please open McAfee Security center by double-clicking the taskbar icon and click "About" in the lower right-hand corner and post the versions of each component here.
                  • 6. solved
                    Ex_brit, I solved the problem after your suggestion to set correctly the compatibility mode.

Thank's a lot and have a nice day happy
                    • 7. RE: solved
                      Ex_Brit
                      Glad you figured that one out...:pGood luck.