4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2009 6:18 PM by nmflygirl

Webpage try to open Trusted Site

I'm using McAfee Security Center 9.3 on Windows XP (running classic style Display Properties) with Service Pack 2. I've been using McAfee for years (different pcs) and have always recommended it, but in the last year I've gotten pretty frustrated with one of these problems for which I was told to uninstall and reinstall. I hope someone else can provide some insight because expecting users to reinstall as a "fix" multiple times isn't acceptable. So I'm hoping to find not only a solution, but an explanation to why some of this occurs.

1. I get the same problem that some other users have described where seemingly out of the blue, McAfee says my system isn't protected, I click the Fix button, and magically everything is fine. However, this can occur over and over. It's tiring. My system is set to prompt me for updates when they are available, and I always update...until recently, see #2.

2. Can anyone tell me how often McAfee actually releases new definitions? I understand that updating is key to staying protected, but being prompted 2 and 3 times in the SAME DAY is getting annoying. Makes me wonder if anything is really happening when I respond affirmatively to update. This is happening most often with the Security Center (the prompts are to update Security Center specifically).

3. Everytime McAfee updates, the next time I power on my pc, Windows launches with the (ugly) XP task bar (rounded looking thing). This means that I have to go into my Display Properties nearly every day and re-select my Theme, click Apply, wait for the screen to update back to Classic style, then I can do what I need to do. This is almost enough to make me switch to Norton!! I'm 99% positive McAfee is the source of this issue. I have tracked it for many months now and it occurs only when McAfee has been updated and I eventually shut down...then the next time I power on (or in some cases restart) I have to reset my Display Properites. Until the last few weeks when McAfee started behaving as described in #2, this was very easy to pinpoint because McAfee would update every couple/few days instead of multiple times each day. So for a few days I could quit/power on, or restart, at will and not encounter this problem. Then as soon as McAfee updated, there was the problem. Now that McAfee is updating itself 1 - 3 times every day, that means every day when I power on I'm dealing with this. To be specific, the Theme in my Display Properties is still set to "Aprils_Classic" (my custom Theme that starts with Classic Windows settings), but those settings are somehow not being applied. So I re-select the same Theme and Apply. This does not occur under any other circumstances so I believe it's McAfee.

4. Every few times after McAfee updates, I start getting the following error when I go to Amazon.com:

"The current Web page is trying to open a site in your Trusted sites list. Do you want to allow this?

Current site: http://www.amazon.com
      Trusted site: res://ieframe.dll"

Whether I click Yes or No the error pops back up twice - this happens every time I change pages on Amazon.com so I have to respond to the error THREE times for every page I view. I have not experience this with other sites (yet). Can anyone explain this? It was happening a couple weeks ago after a McAfee update and then finally just stopped. Now it's back again.

The bottom line for most of this is, I really feel like I no longer understand what I thought I did understand about how McAfee works and about what's going on in general. I feel like it's hard to trust anything anymore. Granted, that is because there are jerks out there trying to steal information and wreak havoc and I understand that McAfee and others are trying to prevent this. But when I keep getting message and prompts left and right and they don't make sense, I start wondering if it's even worth pressing the power button anymore.

Solutions and explanations are very appreciated. Thanks.
        • 1. trusted sites
          you said: 4. Every few times after McAfee updates, I start getting the following error when I go to Amazon.com:

"The current Web page is trying to open a site in your Trusted sites list. Do you want to allow this?

Current site: http://www.amazon.com
          Trusted site: res://ieframe.dll"

Whether I click Yes or No the error pops back up twice - this happens every time I change pages on Amazon.com so I have to respond to the error THREE times for every page I view. I have not experience this with other sites (yet). Can anyone explain this? It was happening a couple weeks ago after a McAfee update and then finally just stopped. Now it's back again.

==

if you use IE7, this is what I did: in tools/internet options/security/ I selected default and it went away and hasn't come back.

but not sure if I hurt my security in the meantime.
          • 2. RE: trusted sites
            Peter M
            It could also be a temporary web page issue at Amazon.
            • 3. IE7 Security settings worked
              Sorry for taking so long to get back. The idea hopeless1 gave (the IE7 default security settings) worked. So I'm not sure if this did have anything to do with my McAfee products but I'm relieved for the solution, though I am not sure what going back to the default settings did to make a difference (it's always nice to know exactly what the problem was, but that isn't always possible). Anyhow, thanks for the feedback. I will re-post my other issue separately. Take care.
              • 4. RE: Webpage try to open Trusted Site
                Peter M
                Glad it's fixed.