1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2009 7:13 AM by Peter M

Never ending update in regard to DAT problem

Hi guys,

I'm new so require a bit of patience. I just need a link to the appropriate fix for my issue. The virus scan keeps downloading and never ends, just shows the spinning red arrow icon in the tool bar and I can't activate virtual technician at all. I've tried turning off the auto updates and restarting but even then it starts up again. My last update was 2/4/09 and the DAT is 5571. My OS is Vista home premium 32bit. If someone can help a newbie out it would be appreciated.

Nick.
        • 1. RE: Never ending update in regard to DAT problem

Well, I'm not sure. It may be a bad DAT. You could wait a few days, or you can try:

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=229135
          • 2. Having issues with dat
            http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=229135

I have done all this and im still having issues. My update arrow doesnt even come up when I update. Im at my witts end with it. I have called and gone through a process as well no problem resolved. Im run Windows XP. Help please!!:confused:
            • 3. RE: Having issues with dat
              Peter M
              The try the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
              In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
              If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.
              • 4. spinning red arrow in task bar
                Hi everyone - I just joined this community because yesterday I called a McAfee representative about this problem and he told me I had malaware in my computer and that is why the red arrow was spinning. He tried to get me to give my credit card number for either a one time fix of $39.00 or a yearly fix for $100+. He claimed they needed to see my computer just like I was seewing it, therefor, this charge was necessary in order for them to fix it. I was very hesitant - just a "gut reaction" I suppose. I didn't give my credit card info out, therefor, I did not get it fixed.
                Now today I happen to run across this forum and this thread is telling me something all together different. I don't know what to believe. Help me to understand.....please.
                • 5. RE: spinning red arrow in task bar
                  Peter M
                  Well it also could be true that you have some malware. Run the free versions of both of these tools:

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Let them clean everything they find.

Then follow the steps above if you see no improvement.

If you need further assistance we need more information....

Please include the following information:
                  What is your operating system, service pack and are you up to date with Microsoft update? There are two ways of checking this. Go to Start/Run and type in winver then click the Enter key. Or, right-click My Computer in the Start Menu or on your desktop (or Computer in Vista) and select Properties.
                  Post what it says.
                  What McAfee products do you have? If your taskbar icon is like this: - double-click to open SecurityCenter and then click "View Details" or "About" at the lower right of the new window. Post the details from each module.
                  • 6. RE: spinning red arrow in task bar
                    Ex_Brit, thank you so much for responding so quickly. I will definately do your suggestions on the FREE tools first. If they don't seem to clean it up, I will get back to you immediately for further help. Gosh, thanks......
                    • 7. RE: spinning red arrow in task bar
                      Peter M
                      Good luck. Try the steps in post # 4 first.
                      • 8. RE: spinning red arrow in task bar
                        Hi Ex_Brit,

Well, I'm about ready to cry and cry really hard! This computer is getting worse as time goes on. It's so slow, it's almost to a stop. I uninstalled McAfee, also used the special uninstall tool, re-loaded on the McAfee website, did a full scan of 53,097 items. 0 Detected, 0 Items Fixed, 0 Items Quarantined, 0 Items Remaining, Scanned 35 processes, 33,716 files, 19,338 critical PC filed scanned, 7 cookies scanned and 1 PC startup file scanned.
                        After all that, I ran a SuperAntiSpyware Professional Trial Version. Memory Items Scanned 500, Detected 0; Registry Items Scanned 3,692, Detected 0; File Items Scanned 16,107, Detected 0; Threats Detected 0. Scanning Time 2:11:07. "No harmful software was detected". While this Antispyware was running for an hour, up comes the spinning red arrow in the taskbar and slows everything down again for an hour and 11 minutes. Geez!
                        When the scan was done, I tried to access my browser, it took so long, I couldn't wait anylonger and shut the whole computer down while the red arrow was still spinning. I just tried restarting it after waiting a half hour and it took FOREVER to bring up Mozilla. The red arrow started circulating again, I couldn't even get to download http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php. to run that. I shut it down again and I am giving up for tonight. I just can't take it anymore. I'm getting so nervous about this whole mess.....tomorrow I will give you my system information when I fire it back up. But for tonight, IVE REALLY HAD IT!
                        • 9. RE: spinning red arrow in task bar
                          Peter M
                          What installed memory (RAM) do you have & free hard drive space? It sound to me like your resources are low, or something is overheating perhaps.
                          1 2 Previous Next