5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2009 7:09 PM by Julie541

Activation and Signature Issues

Hello,

When my McAffee subscription recently expired, I purchased a new subscription instead of renewing. We put the new subscription on several of our computers, and I believe the subscription on my computer was properly installed. I activated it by clicking on "Activate" when prompted to do so. However, since then, I have been getting repeated notifications that I need to activate. But every time I click on "Activate," I still get the same message again later.

I was ignoring this until I started getting another notification indicating a problem. When I open the McAfee Security Center to address the problem, it says that I am not protected. Specifically, it says that my detection signature is between 8 and 29 days old, and it indicates that my computer files and my email and IM need attention. I click on "fix," but the problem remains.

What should I do to properly activate my new subscription and to address the problem with the signature?

I tried to use the online chat, but I was unable to download the program for the chat. I also have sent two emails to customer support, but the first has not been answered after several days (I sent another today). My computer has not been updating its protection for several weeks, I believe, so I am becoming concerned and would appreciate help getting this resolved as soon as possible.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Julie
        • 1. RE: Activation and Signature Issues
          Peter M
          The chat client is probably blocked by a pop-up blocker, or you have Internet Explorer set to something other than default, or something similar.

Have you tried phoning Customer Service? Toll-Free 1-866-897-9325 press 4 then 0 between 8am and 8pm CST.

They should be able to help you.

Technical Support by phone is also free the 1st 30 days after purchase. See: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=224003
          • 2. Customer Service Number
            Hello,

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I believe it has been more than 30 days since we purchased McAfee, and I could not get through with the customer service number. However, I also have yet to receive support via email, although I have sent two emails requesting assistance.

So, how would I check my pop-up settings, if that is what is stopping me from activating my subscription properly? I am using the latest version of Mozilla Firefox, and I think my cookies are enabled ... sometimes it asks me if I want to allow a pop-up, but I haven't had it do that for McAfee.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,

Julie
            • 3. RE: Customer Service Number
              Peter M
              Pop-up blockers usually are in your browser Tools. Although you may be using Firefox, McAfee relies on Internet Explorer settings being the way I've stated.

So could you please call up Internet Explorer and tell me what version it is from Help/About and then check under Tools/Internet Options that all Security zones are at default and the Advanced tab is also at default. Also under the Content tab make sure that Content Advisor is turned off.

There are alternate means for contacting Customer Service via the link at top of this page, second from the left, including another phone number. The one I gave was the direct line.
              • 4. Thank you!
                Hello,

I reset my Internet Explorer (7.0) settings, and now my McAfee security center says my protection is up-to-date and does not indicate any problems. Thank you so much for your help and patience! I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Julie
                • 5. RE: Activation and Signature Issues
                  Peter M
                  Glad it's OK now.