1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 26, 2009 10:57 PM by Peacekeeper RSS

Blocking automatic updates

Are there some settings in Security Center that could prevent Microsoft & Adobe automatic updates from working? For months now, no automatic updates to MS Office, MS Outlook, MS Excel, et al, and Acrobat Reader will complete successfully.
        • 1. RE: Blocking automatic updates
          Peacekeeper
          Check your firewall allowed program list to see if you inadvertedly blocked accesss to them.

Have you Privacy service installed maybe that has a setting to block sites. (Not a PS helper so guessing there)

I have asked in our Monday call betwen mods and techs for comment.

Oh
          in your mcafee security center:
          1. open mcafee the red M
          2. click internet and network
          3. click on the configure button for internet and network
          4. click advanced button for firewall settings
          5. check setting for security level is it on automatic and is it set to allow outbound only? change to standard setting
          • 2. Firewall Settings
            I appear to have a different version of McAfee Security Center than you're referring to. I am running Win XP, not Vista, so that may be the difference. I also am using Windows Firewall, not McAfee's. I use McAfee for virus, spyware, SystemGuards and script scanning.

After selecting Internet & Network, I see info telling me Windows Firewall is enabled, and that Outbound firewall & Identity Protection are not installed.

Once I click on Configure (your step 3) I see 3 choices: Protection Status, Automatic Updates Are Enabled, and Alerts. All 3 have an Advanced button, none of which bring me to any list of blocked programs.

I appreciate your response, but it doesn't appear to help my particular situation.
            • 3. RE: Firewall Settings
              Peacekeeper
              Sorry my suggestions no chop. I have this as a question for tomorrow's moderator call and cannot see what in SG or VS would block these apps especially as you have not got mcafee firewall installed. Have you checked the windows firewall settings?

While waiting scan your pc with these two apps they are safe and a good addition to a virus scan
              SuperAntiSpyware
              http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
              Download the free version here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

So do the updaters commence but stop incomplete?
              • 4. Firewall Settings
                I don't think you read my last reply closely. I said I do NOT have McAfee firewall installed - I have Windows firewall enabled. I will be interested to see if your moderator's call has any suggestions. Thanks for trying to find an answer. I appreciate it.
                • 5. RE: Firewall Settings
                  Ex_Brit
                  Using Windows Firewall alone in XP or Vista is unsafe as it protects only incoming connections, and while it can be configured in Vista more so than in XP, it is hell trying to do that so not recommended.

Why aren't you using McAfee's software firewall which provides far better protection and is included in all packages?

You may have infections so follow Tony's advice and run those anti-spyware applications.

You also didn't answer whether or not those updates start and do not complete.

What is your operating system, service pack and are you up to date with all updates, both critical and non-critical?
                  • 6. RE: Blocking automatic updates
                    Ex_Brit
                    As an afterthought also do the following:

If you are running Internet Explorer 7 go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click the Reset button. OK and exit, close and reopen IE7.
                    You will have to-enable all the browser add-ons.

If Internet Explorer 6 - go to Tools/Internet Options..
                    General tab: clear cookies, history and temporary files
                    Security tab: set all zones to default
                    Content tab: disable Content Advisor
                    Advanced tab: set to default. OK and exit.
                    • 7. Firewall Settings
                      Thanks for the replies. I'll try to answer each item mentioned.
                      A. I'm using Windows Firewall only because it seemed less 'bothersome' in operation. I cannot tell you specifically why I thought that - could have been a senior moment.

B.null I am running Windows XP Home, SP3 and it's as up-to-date as it can be - except, of course, for the updates that start but fail. Here is what I see following auto update running:

The following updates were not installed:
                      Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Page 2 (KB954430)
                      Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB951535)
                      Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB956357)
                      Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (KB958436)
                      Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk EMail Filter (KB959140)
                      Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB957938)

C. I currently use Ascentive's PC ScanAndSweep plus AdAware in addition to McAfee Security Center for malware, spyware & viruses. I run these often and clean out whatever is found.

D. I seldom use IE7 - I'm a FireFox user unless forced to IE by some backward website that will only run correctly under IE. I have not tried resetting IE as you suggest since it says to only do that if IE is unstable and I don't know that it is unstable.

I don't know if any of that helps or not. I wish I were more technically savy.
                      • 8. RE: Firewall Settings
                        Ex_Brit
                        OK, I would recommend that you install McAfee Firewall. Doing so will automatically disable Windows Firewall.

Not sure why those updates weren't installed. That's between you and Microsoft I guess. They do offer totally free support with anything to do with updates.

Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
                        https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

Support for Windows Update:
                        http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport

For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
                        the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
                        subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
                        security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
                        to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call the
                        above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue (which is
                        47830).

For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
                        for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
                        site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Ascentive's PC ScanandSweep is a registry cleaner and as such I do not recommend it. Registry cleaners often clean vital things and cause malfunctions or unsafe conditions.

Adaware is good, but not as good as Superantispyware in my opinion, so I do recommend that you run the free version thereof, and it is by no means as good as Malwarebytes..

Whether or not you use IE7 I would like you to do what I stated as both Microsoft Updates and McAfee Security Center rely upon it.

Note what I said about re-enabling the add-ons.
                        • 9. RE: Firewall Settings
                          Peacekeeper
                          Sorry I had an senior moment as well. My brain said "since u do not have mcafee firewall" but my fingers typed different.

Try what Peter mentioned
                          1 2 Previous Next