7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2008 7:53 AM by Peter M

Major Problem, please help.

Right, first of all I am very sorry if this thread exists somewhere on this website but I couldn't find one and I am very stuck.

Ok. I found a thread about someone's McAfee wouldn't start up, this sounded like the problem that I am having trouble with because when I tried to active McAfee from the taskbar (bottom right of the screen), the shortcut on the Desktop or the programs menu all of them brought up the McAfee logo (the logo that comes up when you try to bring up the program menu), then the logo would disappear and nothing would happen. However if I tried to get into McAfee via the 'shortcuts' option by right clicking the symbol on the taskbar and selected 'Home' the computer would then bring up the usual program crash window. Anyway as I mentioned previously someone had this problem recently (I think) and it was solved. But I have an added problem, which I will be mentioning below.

I thought that a simple reinstall of McAfee would be the most straight-forward solution, however when I tried to uninstall McAfee from the 'Add/Remove Programs' section of the control pannel it wont begin the uninstall proceedure at all. So using a the guidence from a previous thread suggesting a Mcafee Uninstaller program, which I used and it worked. But now I am getting a messege when I try to install McAfee Internet Security 2009 the same error messege appears 'ERROR - Unable to setup frame window. Exiting...'. Please help, I currently have no Firewall, Internet Security or anything. If there is a program to force an install is there a program to force an install?
        • 1. RE: Major Problem, please help.
          Sorry to double post, but I have managed to fix the problem. The solution is ... do nothing. I am serious, force an uninstall of McAfee to fix the problem then leave it off for a few days and then try to reinstall McAfee the usual error messege of 'ERROR - Unable to setup frame window. Exiting...'. Anyway, there ya go.
          • 2. RE: Major Problem, please help.
            Peter M
            MetalACER there was a thread on this and it was solved: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=199228

If you ever decide again to uninstall/reinstall do the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
            In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site, not from any CD that you may have.
            • 3. RE: Major Problem, please help.
              I am having this problem to. I have purchased Total Protection 2009 but I cannot run it. I have read the solved thread but I am unable to open the patch posted as it comes up with page cannot be displayed. Please help I am in turmoil here!
              • 4. RE: Major Problem, please help.
                I have removed allthe Mcafee components as above, other problems I have been having is that I cannot login to my hotmail account and believe my search engine has been infiltrated as everytime I search for a solution it takes me to copybook.com.
                • 5. RE: Major Problem, please help.
                  Peter M
                  You mean the IEREGFIX.bat wouldn't download? I just tried it and it worked.

Also do the following....

If you are running Internet Explorer 7 go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click the Reset button. OK and exit, close and reopen IE7.
                  You will have to-enable all the browser add-ons.

If Internet Explorer 6 - go to Tools/Internet Options..
                  General tab: clear cookies, history and temporary files
                  Security tab: set all zones to default
                  Content tab: disable Content Advisor
                  Advanced tab: set to default. OK and exit.

Test your machine for spyware using the free version of this tool: http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
                  and the free version of this one:
                  http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Let them remove anything they find.

If you've removed McAfee run the MCPR tool linked in my signature, reboot and then try downloading McAfee from the account page, not from any CD that you may have.

If you require more help please post more details..

Please include the following information:
                  What is your operating system, service pack and are you up to date with Microsoft update?
                  What McAfee products do you have? If your taskbar icon is like this: - right-click it and go to each application "About" and post the details.
                  If it is like this: - double-click to open SecurityCenter and then click "View Details" or "About" at the lower right of the new window. Post the details from each module.
                  • 6. RE: Major Problem, please help.
                    I just wanted to say a big thank you Peter, I am back up and running, it took me nearly 18 hours to solve the problem but without your help I would have had to pay for it to be repaired. In my eyes you are a legend! Cheers again.:)
                    • 7. RE: Major Problem, please help.
                      Peter M
                      Glad to help and thank you. :)

Moved to the solved area.