9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2008 8:10 AM by matrixluke

Can't Download

Hey there, sorry is this was the wrong topic, wasn't too sure where to place it.

I'm currently having trouble downloading the internet security program, I grabbed the dmsetup file quite a while ago before I started having problems and now upon running the program it tells me it's having trouble installing the mcafee software. (error 12007)

I'm also unable to download the dmsetup again from the site, appears I can't access the download.mcafee.com address, was wondering whether the site was down or perhaps I had some sort of Trojan preventing access or something. This could quite possibly be linked with myself not being able to download any windows updates.

Is there any existing help file someone could please point me to? or any method to help my situation? would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
        • 1. RE: Can't Download
          matrixluke

It seems like your hosts file need some attention. check your hosts file.
          • 2. RE: Can't Download
            Hey thanks for the reply.

But I've tried following this help document and then the dos scan, which got rid of roughly 5 infections. but nothing seems to be working. Not so sure where I should go from here, any suggestions?

thanks alot.
            • 3. RE: Can't Download
              matrixluke

ok. Try pinging the website download.mcafee.com.
              • 4. RE: Can't Download
                I get a Ping request could not find host download.mcafee.com. Check the name and try again.

I get a request time-out everytime I try mcafee.com also.
                • 5. Please visit
                  Hi,

This is a very common issue when trying to download dmsetup from a mcafee website... there are usually 2 reasons for this... one is that you need to refresh your IP stack and second is that your computer may actually be infected with a certain spyware/virus/trojan... however editing your hosts file may also resolve the issue

try visiting this link and see if it helps:

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=307223&lc=1033&partner=McAfee&type =TS&ia=1

The KB will help you identify the proper setting of your TCP/IP and will provide you instructions on how to clear and refresh the IP Stack...

hope this helps... happy
                  • 6. RE: Please visit

Hey thanks for the reply, but unfortunately it didn't seem to work. my address wasn't modified. I'm kinda suspecting it to be some virus or so, I've tried various anti-virus and spyware programs which are detecting and removing all they find, but still leaves me with this issue.
                    • 7. RE: Please visit
                      matrixluke

Try the following

Click on start-> Click on Run-> Type drivers-> Click ok-> Open the folder etc ->open the file hosts with a note pad. initially the contant inside that will be like

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
                      #
                      # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
                      #
                      # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
                      # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
                      # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
                      # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
                      # space.
                      #
                      # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
                      # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
                      #
                      # For example:
                      #
                      # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
                      # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Change it to

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
                      #
                      # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
                      #
                      # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
                      # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
                      # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
                      # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
                      # space.
                      #
                      # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
                      # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
                      #
                      # For example:
                      #
                      # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
                      # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
                      221.135.111.121 download.mcafee.com

then save the file.
                      • 8. RE: Please visit

Hey that worked perfectly, thank you so much for all your help. grin
                        • 9. RE: Please visit
                          matrixluke

No problem, glad it worked.