1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2009 7:31 AM by SafeBoot

how the EEPC creates a device (how to stop it)?

zn
      In my installation scenario thread I mention how we will have to manage duplicate devices and users in our pseudo workgroup setup.

I want to install the EEPC package then have it launch our custom script before it creates a device itself as the script/process we are creating will create the device and deal with duplicates.

I can't see any option to launch a program after installation

presumably the autodomain script hooks into the registry and we will have to do the same on restart of the machine?
        • 1. RE: how the EEPC creates a device (how to stop it)?
          zn
          nevermind, we have noticed the rename device command and will use that instead.
          • 2. RE: how the EEPC creates a device (how to stop it)?
            you can define an exe as a pre/post install helper- then it will get run during the install, either before everything, or after everything (but still before the first reboot).
            • 3. RE: how the EEPC creates a device (how to stop it)?
              zn
              our exe is going to create the device and user and assign the user.

does this mean we can do this then force a synch before the first reboot and the 1st reboot can initiate the preboot auth?
              • 4. RE: how the EEPC creates a device (how to stop it)?
                no, you can't install the preboot until after the driver is in place.
                • 5. RE: how the EEPC creates a device (how to stop it)?
                  zn
                  we've created the device ourself using a post install helper exe BUT the EEPC client doesn't recognise this

can our application create the device and initiace the EEPC client to use our device name which is not the local machine name?

we've watched the setup routine create the device in the EEOD after the 1st reboot so possibly it is the case that we will have to wait for this to happen then rename the device because presumably sbsetup.exe is called with a lot of hidden params to make this happen?
                  • 6. RE: how the EEPC creates a device (how to stop it)?
                    not sure what you mean by "doesn't recognize this"?

the eepc client looks in the DB for a device entry of its network name, if not, it will create one (assuming you created the install set from a group, not a template machine).

This is how AutoDomain works.

If you want the EEPC and Network names to be different, you need to seed SCM with the special name of the object you want the machine to use - create a template based install set and you'll see how to define this manually.

I hope that helps?
                    • 7. RE: how the EEPC creates a device (how to stop it)?
                      zn
                      our posthelperexe creates the device in the from GROUPNAME_PCNAME

creates the user and assigns it to the device

upon reboot the EEPC doesn't use the device we created it still creates a device PCNAME

separately we tested using the rename machine command after the normal install routine has run and we then rename to GROUPNAME-PCNAME the EEPC client works for synch etc.

how can we get this to happen during the install, what is 'SEED' I only found mention of this in relation to users

also is there detailed help for the advanced file properties explaining what each of the file type's do?
                      • 8. RE: how the EEPC creates a device (how to stop it)?
                        zn
                        we also tried forcing a synch after creating our device with the name we want but it fails because the driver isn't loaded.
                        • 9. RE: how the EEPC creates a device (how to stop it)?
                          SEED? I have no idea - where did that come from?

No, there's no help for the file properties - they are more for our use than yours. The pre/post installers are pretty obvious though.

you need to change scm.ini prior to the first reboot if you want machines to have different network and EEM names. Everyone else has wanted the EEM name to be the network name, or as you've found, rename it afterwards.

You can't force a sync until after the first reboot - ie, until the driver is loaded.

You may want to consider getting some professional support if this is a time critical project to help you through this very unique customisation.
                          1 2 Previous Next