3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2009 11:21 AM by exbrit

GoToMyPC PUP?

This *could* still be a McAfee issue as it's appaently detecting this as potential spyware/malware with the option to delete the file:

McAfee has blocked a potentially unwanted program (PUP) on your computer. If you do not recognize it, we recommend that you remove the program.

About this Potentially Unwanted Program
      Name: Generic PUP.x!q

Spyware, adware, and other potentially unwanted programs can harm your computer, compromise its security, and damage valuable files.
        • 1. RE: GoToMyPC PUP?
          exbrit
          From the Help section in Security Center:

Work with potentially unwanted programs

If VirusScan detects a potentially unwanted program on your computer, you can either remove or trust the program. If you are unfamiliar with the program, we recommend that you consider removing it. Removing the potentially unwanted program does not actually delete it from your system. Instead, removing quarantines the program to prevent it from causing damage to your computer or files.

Open the Scan Results pane.
          Double-click the Scan completed icon in the notification area at the far right of your taskbar.
          On the Scan pane, click Details.
          In the scan results list, click Potentially Unwanted Programs.
          Select a potentially unwanted program.
          Under I want to, click either Remove or Trust.
          Confirm your selected option
          • 2. RE: GoToMyPC PUP?
            I did trust it, but I'm wondering why McAfee finds a well-known safe product like GoToMyPC a Potentially Unwanted Program? And might people who don't know exactly why it's being detected select "Remove" simply because they figure McAfee knows best? Quarantining that file makes the progam unusable, right?
            • 3. RE: GoToMyPC PUP?
              exbrit
              Maybe something in GoToMyPC changed and the heuristic scanner wasn't sure. It usually sorts itself out eventually and it happens with all A/V applications that have heuristic scanning.

The idea is that it's better to be safe than sorry.

It might prove a problem for some people, but then just about anything can do that.

If one wants a quicker solution one can always forward it to the threat center for review, after disabling VirusScan temporarily. There's a sticky about that here:
              http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=233662

I'll move this to the VirusScan forum as it applies to that rather than the Firewall.