3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2010 5:07 PM by aik1955

Update Frequency.....

It seems as if I am getting VirusScan updates almost every day. When this occurs my computer is tied up for about 15 minutes.

One update a week would be more than sufficient for my needs.

How can I limit update frequency or at least get a prompt that asks me if I want the update to proceed at this time ?
        • 1. RE: Update Frequency.....
          exbrit
          Updates are daily, sometimes more often, otherwise your protection would lag too far behind the influx of new malware.

You can turn off automatic updating if your wish but you will then have to deal with warnings from the Security Center.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center
          Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)
          Click Configure (left)
          With SecurityCenter highlighted (top left)
          Click Advanced (right)
          Click Update Options (left)
          • 2. Re: RE: Update Frequency.....

At first I thought that my computer wasn't keeping track of the updates and would "forget" that it updated and repeat. I made sure that the cookies were kept from mcafee. I kept seeing an updated DAT file and was unsure of its purpose. Thanks ex_brit for the information concerning  the update frequency.  I had already set  the system to update manually and still was frustrated .  Like the previous person, my computer was spending time and memory on the update process.  Thanks.

• 3. Re: RE: Update Frequency.....
              exbrit

You're welcome.