1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 31, 2009 3:34 AM by Peacekeeper

Verify subscription and reinstalling virus scan

At least twice a day I ge a pop up that I am not protected and must verify my subscription and after I do that I get another pop up that I have to reinstall virus protection. My computer is running very slow and when I run the virus scan it does not detect anything. This started about 2 weeks ago and my os is xp prof sp 2. What can I do to correct this issue? Thanks
        • 1. RE: Verify subscription and reinstalling virus scan
          Peacekeeper
          1st try scanning with the following free tools

I suggest you download, install, update and run the free version of both of these tools:

http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

If still an issue try this full removal and install

Temporarily enable Windows Firewall and repeat the following steps (sometimes running the removal tool isn't always succesful at the first attempt and you may not have noticed any errors it gave):

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). (the link in in my signature). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
          In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
          If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site- not from any CD that you may have.