1 2 3 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2009 11:40 AM by kric

Internet Explorer?

hello,

am having problems accessing IE - last time this happened a pop-up appeared and told me the "problem was caused by McAfee Virus Scan" and even gave me the link to this forum!

help please - i use IE a lot :-|

thanks

kr
        • 1. blue screen
          after the 'IE stopped working' pop-up i started to get a blue screen message on my Vista: "Problem detected...Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer". This was becoming regular so i stopped using IE and went through my server, now i got exactly the same blue screen not using IE so the pc has melt down

the blue screen tells me i might like to start in Safe Mode and disable Bios memory options and gives me various 'technical information such as "STOP 0x00000116 nvlddmkm.sys"

the pc then tries to restart itself but fails and goes into blue screen again

please help

thanks

kr
          • 2. RE: blue screen
            If the problem continues, you may have a bad or dying video card, power problem, or motherboard failure. This includes bad memory or CPU or errors caused by excessive heat.

nvlddmkm.sys is a Video Card driver for Nvidia based cards. Please make sure you have the latest driver from www.nvidia.com.
            • 3. nVidia!

right on!

have been having nVidia problems for many weeks and the (final please?) nVidia driver update went through earlier this morning, no crashes since - fingers crossed

but the IE thing is still a mystery to me

many thanks

kr
              • 4. RE: nVidia!
                Failing hardware will cause any/all applications and OS's to crash. If IE is the only thing to crash, it's possible a third-party application or plug-in is at fault and uninstalling that third-party software is the solution.
                • 5. IE

um, yes, but there are posts all over this forum concerning the IE / McAfee VS conflict?

apparently it is a known glitch - and a serious one at that, if it is taking out IE?

thanks

kr
                  • 6. RE: IE
                    exbrit
                    The only "conflict" I recall was a general incompatibility issue with IE8 beta.
                    • 7. RE: IE
                      I'm not familar with posts about IE and McAfee issues. If you could post some links, maybe I could get a better idea. Usually the problem isn't an IE/McAfee problem at all. Your symptoms also support this as not being an IE problem.

My general fix for IE is to first disable third party addons (Internet Explorer's Safe Mode or Internet Options -> Advanced -> Uncheck "Enabled Third-Party Browser Extensions" and restart). For broken IE components, a reinstall of the same IE version or upgrade usually fixes any issues.
                      • 9. RE: IE problems?
                        exbrit
                        That's a bug in the application caused by something unknown on a few peoples' PC's, not anything to do with an IE incompatibility issue.

the blue screen tells me i might like to start in Safe Mode and disable Bios memory options and gives me various 'technical information such as "STOP 0x00000116 nvlddmkm.sys"

I believe that is an issue with nVidia drivers. You might want to check out the latest ones from them.
                        1 2 3 Previous Next