2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2009 10:40 AM by dhoyman

appcrash

After getting my HP-Touch computer back from HP after they repaired it by replacing the CPU, I did what I always do with a new computer (they’d wiped my drive and reloaded the OS), I installed McAfee and ran a scan. Virus Scan kept crashing with the messages below. All were the same as the two below, exactly. I located the offending file (a game file that came from HP) that was crashing it and destroyed it. Then I scanned and all was well.
      Today I started getting a message that McAfee On Demand Scan or some such, (Sorry I didn’t write it down) had stopped running. So I started another scan. It kept crashing again at a certain location. Again, with the same exact info as below, same numbers, etc., everything the same. Again I located the offending file and destroyed it. This file was a zip file that apparently had come into my Attach folder for Eudora, apparently attached to some spam. So I am assuming these are infected files, but why are they crashing McAfee?
      Again, the scan is now performing properly.
      So, any idea why this is happening or what I can do about it? I’ve been using McAfee for years and this is the first time I’ve experienced any of your programs crashing.

HP-Touch, Vista 64 bit Home Premium, 2 gig RAM

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
      Application Name: mcods.exe
      Application Version: 13.3.127.0
      Application Timestamp: 49d3d7ce
      Fault Module Name: mscan64a.dll
      Fault Module Version: 5.300.0.2777
      Fault Module Timestamp: 486bbc99
      Exception Code: c0000005
      Exception Offset: 0000000000166de9
      OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
      Locale ID: 1033
      Additional Information 1: 10e1
      Additional Information 2: 2575a4c34b50c41433c3481ceaed8f21
      Additional Information 3: 9603
      Additional Information 4: c80e04231f007f9a327af4d92c33d024

Dave
        • 1. RE: appcrash
          BalaSGS
          Hi,
          Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.
          Did you install the McAfee through the CD or through the Website Account?
          Please let know the version of McAfee program installed in the computer (Open the McAfee security center-> click on about in the left had bottom of the security center panel)?

Steps
          Try to update the Windows make sure all the patch /optional update installed
          You can run the MVT and post the Session ID {http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/default.asp} here let me review and we will update you…
          • 2. RE: appcrash
            Hi, Bala, It was loaded through an account. I've had McAfee subscriptions for all my computers for years.
            I'm not in the same town as that computer right now, but I'm sure it's the latest version as the computer was just repaired and I reloaded everything, including all updates from MS and HP. That includes SP2 for Vista as well.
            I will not be home for a couple of weeks, so I can only tell you what I remember at this point.

Thanks for your response, I'll get back to you when I get home.

Dave