1 2 3 Previous Next 67 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2009 5:49 PM by Peacekeeper

Error Getting Scan Progress

Hi,

I am trying to run a full scan but I can't. I get the following error:

"Scanning has encountered a problem from which it cannot recover. Here are the problem details:
      - Error getting scan progress
      When finished you will return to the Home window"

The error comes up as soon as I start the scan. I am pretty sure I am infected with malware/adware as I am being redirected from google. I have tried to run Malwarebytes and a couple of other similar programs but once downloaded they will not launch/run.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am very, very frustrated and my notebook may end up in the bathtub sometime soon!
        • 1. RE: Error Getting Scan Progress
          BalaSGS
          Hi
          Pleas clarify,
          What is the version of operating system you use (Vista / XP)?
          Did you receive any kind of alert/advertisements or pop-ups in the computer?
          What type of internet connection you have (DSL, Cable….)?
          What is the Internet explore you use (IE 6 or 7)?
          Steps:
          Rename the malware bite Exe file and then try to run
          Perform the scan in the safe mode (windows advance boot option—while booting the computer tap the F8 button and select the Safe mode)
          Try to perform the Disk cleanup and disk defrag in addition.
          • 2. RE: Error Getting Scan Progress
            I've had that problem and I'm trying to find out why it happens, but in the meantime what I have done is looked at the scan display window before finishing, write down the file and location that is showing as being scanned at the time this happens, then go ahead and finish.
            What I do then is locate the file and delete it. So far this has been a game file that I assume was infected, and a zip file that came in attached to spam. Once I deleted the file I then went to the Trash Bin and deleted it from there, too. Then when I reran Virus Scan it worked fine. I am only assuming these are infected files that are halting the scan. They have been files I can live without, so I had no compunction about deleting them. I have a post on the forum now to try to find out precisely why this is happening, and I don't guarantee anything, but this is what has worked for me.
            This is a computer running 64 bit Vista Home Premium.
            I hope this helps.
            • 3. RE: Error Getting Scan Progress
              BalaSGS
              Basically we will be having the issue with McAfee scan. If we have any corrupted file in the computer or any Malware infected file. There is scenario where this might happen if we had any Hard disk Bad block.
              So just make sure you are not removing any file which is been used by any application or software…
              Let us know if you have any more concerns ….
              happy
              • 4. RE: Error Getting Scan Progress
                Thanks, Bala, but I am very careful about what files I delete, and no, I have no bad blocks on the hard drive, I ran extensive diags on the drive. I assumed they were infected files, I just didn't understand why McAfee crashes rather than dealing with the infected file. Do you have any information about that?
                Again, thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

Dave
                • 5. RE: Error Getting Scan Progress
                  I am having the exact same issues and also with spybot and malware. In fact I just deleted those programs as I was not able to access them any longer. I used the live chat technical help last night and was told to run a check disk and I ran that in read only mode and now it will not let me run that anymore. I believe there is a nasty bug, but have not found help yet. Before this issue arose I was having issues with McAffee....I would get a notice that my computer was not fully protected and when I check my computer files and email and IM protection would be shut down. Then click fix and seemed that all was well, but I knew there was something wrong as this would continue to happen at random times. Any new information about any of this?
                  • 6. RE: Error Getting Scan Progress
                    BalaSGS
                    Hi,
                    Just let me know the File name and its location where Scan is getting stopped. Let me know if you have made any changes in the computer in the recent past.
                    It would be great if you can provide the Operating system you use and type of internet connection you have.
                    • 7. RE: Error Getting Scan Progress
                      Hi there,

Sorry to hi-jack this thread but Im having the same issue except that the point where it stops isn't always the same; some times it stops at 2% and other times it can be at 99%, theres no common factor. Sometimes the scan completes successfully.

I have been communicating with 1st line support over the past few days and have tried numerous solutions:

• Removing the Security Centre completely and reinstalling.
                      • Removing IE8 and reinstalling.
                      • Removing IE8 and trying with just IE7 installed.
                      • Running the registration batch file fix.
                      • Adjusting the security certificate settings in IE8.
                      • Adjusting the scan settings.

To answer the questions below;

• Connection: DSL
                      • Browser: IE8 (Firefox is also installed, but not the default browser)
                      • SecurityCentre Build: 9.3.151
                      • VirusScan Build: 13.3.127
                      • DAT: 5645.0000

As you can imagine, Im getting rather peeved now after paying out for a product which isn't actually doing its job! sad
                      • 8. RE: Error Getting Scan Progress
                        Apologies for the double-post but heres the error message screen-shots:

This is the one that McAfee throws out:

And this is the one that Windows throws out at the same time:

• 9. RE: Error Getting Scan Progress
                          @Fascination
                          A random crash at 2% or 99% or sometimes not at all usually indicates a problem with your computer. This could be hardware failure/error(Overclocking can do this) OR a third party application that is interfering with McAfee. This includes OEM software (like HP's recovery software) and other Spyware programs (like when SpySweeper's file system link driver was causing problems with McAfee a while back). Are you ever able to make it crash on demand in Safe Mode?

@Johnsonic, @nels
                          If programs like MalwareBytes or SPybot, ect. do not run... you probably have an active virus or settings left over from a past virus that tells Windows to block those programs. I generally recommend renaming the program to something else (I use AAAA.EXE for example) to bypass the program name blocking. It is still possible for an active virus to stop the program if it is active.

@Dehoyman
                          Please let us know what game file was causing the trouble. If you can find a backup copy, could you send it to www.virustotal.com and tell us what results came back? It's possible the freeze in the VirusScan engine is happening in an emulation/VM layer on a program that is protected. This should not happen and if it is an Engine problem, the engine team would want to see the file.

QuickScan 1.2.1 (BETA)
                          I have created a small McAfee scanning tool to quickly check to see if McAfee can detect anything in some critical sections of your computer. This 'QuickScan' tool does not install or change any settings and will self-update when run. An internet connection is required). It should run with existing AntiVirus software and may use VirusScan drivers if they are installed.

The scan will detect and attempt to clean what it finds in memory and then in registered files in the registry. It should take less than 5 minutes and includes 32-bit and 64-bit native modules (not IA64). When complete, a log file will be displayed with the results. Any files created will be in the %SYSTEMROOT%\QS folder (Usually \Windows\QS).

DISCLAIMER[/B]
                          THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Download QS.EXE [2.97MB]
                          1 2 3 Previous Next