1 2 Previous Next 14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 4:50 AM by staro30

Total Protection 5 "on access scan" won't work

I am trying to get a new install of Total Protection for Small Business v5 working and am having a horrible time. I keep getting the message "On access scan is currently disabled".
      I have tried countless times to uninstall and reinstall and it alwas results in the same thing. The McShield service will not start up in service manager.

In the config console the options under virus and spyware protection are disabled and don't let me change them. The same with the "fix now" button on the main console screen.

Below is the log I get from running the Mcafee virtual technician program. I don't know why the missing files are not installing. Is there a way I can get my hands on a copy of the previous version 4 of Total Protection? All my other machines still have this version installed and are working perfectly. I've tried emailing tech support and they told me to just reinstall it and delete the temp files which I already had done, and when I wrote back and told them I already did it they responded with the same reinstall message they sent me the first time, so they are useless.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

MVT Information
      MVT Version : 5.0.1.0
      System Information
      Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (Build 2600)
      Service Pack : Service Pack 3.0
      Language : 0409
      Internet Explorer Version : 7.0
      Internet Explorer Language : en-us
      System Drive Type : NTFS
      Physical Memory Available : 46700
      Physical Memory Total : 490864
      Virtual Memory Available : 2055400
      Virtual Memory Total : 2097024
      System Architecture : x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0AMD Sempron(tm) 2800+
      Date Time : 08/19/2009 14:05:15
      Time Zone : GMT -05:00
      Product Details
      Product Name : Total Protection Service - Agent
      Product Version : 5.0.0.567
      Language : 1033
      Partner : McAfee
      Health Check Details
      Registry OK
      File 6 file(s) incorrect
      Expected File not Present
      File: c:\program files\mcafee\managed virusscan\Agent\myAsUtil5.0.0.531.dll
      File: c:\program files\mcafee\managed virusscan\Agent\myCabVersion.ini
      File: c:\program files\mcafee\managed virusscan\Agent\mycioagt.inf
      File: c:\program files\mcafee\managed virusscan\Agent\myRmProt5.0.0.531.dll
      File: c:\program files\mcafee\managed virusscan\Agent\myUninstall.inx
      File: c:\program files\mcafee\managed virusscan\Agent\myUsrSrv5.0.0.531.exe

Process OK
      Service OK
      COM 1 component(s) incorrect
      Expected COM Component not Present
      Component Name: {7AA6D1C8-FF3E-494E-B434-C7754B957B2F} HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MyUpdHlp.UpdateHelper\CLSID

Top Issues OK
      SYSTEM OK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Name : Total Protection Service - Virus and Spyware Protection
      Product Version : 5.0.0.567
      Language : 1033
      Partner : McAfee
      Health Check Details
      Registry OK
      File OK
      Process OK
      Service OK
      COM OK
      Top Issues OK
      SYSTEM OK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        • 1. RE: Total Protection 5 "on access scan" won't work
          I am having much the same problem, both on a Vista machine and 2 SBS 2003 machines. Any help I try and get just tells e to uninstall and reinstall.

Have you managed to make any progress on this?

Thanks
          • 2. i have a very similar issue
            I have a winxp tablet machine that has version 5 and the mcshield service is not running. I spent 8 hours with phone support last night and they have moved me to tier 2.
            Still no idea as to why but something will come about.

I came across a few techs where all they wanted to do was reinstall. Thats all they know. I dont think they can come to terms with it not working properly.

I will update you as soon as i hear something. I got a hold of a great tech in the end and i still have the issue but headway is being made.
            • 3. RE: i have a very similar issue
              Catfish/Linya-
              Are you able to bring up a command prompt window on your machines? For some reason the machine I'm having trouble with is having this issue. No idea how since it was just wiped and redone not that long ago. Just wondering if this has something to do with the issue.
              • 4. i am able to get a command prompt
                Yes i am able to get to a command prompt. I actually tried to isntall using the vssetup tool which does it though a command line. It installed but i still could not get McShield service to run.

I am still waiting on the engineers to call me.

Cross your fingers.
                • 5. Re: Total Protection 5 "on access scan" won't work

Hi,

I am having exactly the same issue, did you ever manage to find a solution.  I'm getting a bit tired of having to uninstall and reinstall!!

• 6. Re: Total Protection 5 "on access scan" won't work

I moved this thread to hopefully the right group.

• 7. Re: Total Protection 5 "on access scan" won't work

Try this process to uninstall

Uninstalling McAfee

1. Start>Settings>Control panel>add remove programs> McAfee remove
                      2. Start>Run>%temp% and delete all files (these are temp files)
                      3. Start>Run>Prefetch and delete all files
                      4. Start>Run>regedit HKEY_Local_Machine>Software>Delete McAfee folder
                      5. www.mcafeeasap.com under help>utilities run MVSUninst

Once you are done uninstalling, try then reinstalling. 

Hope this helps.  I have to do this to a lot of computers when the access scan does not work.

• 8. Re: Total Protection 5 "on access scan" won't work

Is your computer infected by a virus and you installed the virusscan over it? If yes, the On Access Scanner may not run. You can use Mcafee Command Line Scan to clean the system first, then reinstall using vssetup.exe.

Another cause can be a wrong company key in the registry. Please check and correct the company key in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\ManagedServices\Agent\szCompanyKey] and restart the mcafee services/reboot the system.

Hope this helps.

• 9. Re: Total Protection 5 "on access scan" won't work

Thank you for your replies.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled again as per your suggestions, Virtual Technician is still showing the following files as missing, which is the same as it was before I removed it:

:\program files\mcafee\managed virusscan\Agent\myAsUtil5.0.0.531.dll

:\program files\mcafee\managed virusscan\Agent\myCabVersion.ini

:\program files\mcafee\managed virusscan\Agent\mycioagt.inf

:\program files\mcafee\managed virusscan\Agent\myRmProt5.5.531.dll

:\program files\mcafee\managed virusscan\Agent\myUninstall.inx

:\program files\mcafee\managed virusscan\Agent\myUsrSrv5.0.0.531.exe

And the following component is also showing as incorrect:

{7AA6D1C8-FF3E-494E-B434-C7754B957B2F}HKEY_CLASSES-ROOT\MyUpdHlp.UpdateHelper\CL SID

In the console, Virus and Spyware protection is telling me I am no longer protected, yet when I manually update from the tray icon it tells me I am up to date.

Ny ideas as to what the problem might be?!

Thanks

1 2 Previous Next