4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2009 8:33 AM by lwetzel

Scheduled scans no longer work?

Hi again,

I have 2 laptops with Win XP, IE7, and McAfee (same setup as my desktop). In the past 2 weeks my scheduled virus scans will not work on the laptops. I have them set to scan every Friday at 3:am. Both laptops have done this scan each Friday for 3 years UNTIL NOW. I cant figure out why. They download McAfee updates like normal, etc but come Friday nothing happens (no scheduled scan). I've checked the setting, unchecked the box that says "start scan only when PC is plugged in," etc. The scheduled scans just dont start, I have to manually start them. Anyone know why?

My desktop which I had issues with about 2 weeks ago (fixed now) performs the scheduled scans w/out problem. However I find it strange that the laptops are acting strange since my desktop acted up 2 weeks ago. McAfee Virus scan and Superantispyware come up clean (except for adware.tracking cookie) on all machines.

Anyone know why the scheduled scans will not start each week? Thanks!
        • 1. RE: Scheduled scans no longer work?
          any help here?

Nobody knows why my scheduled scans no longer work on 2 laptops that have worked perfectly for 3 years and now the last two weeks no more sched. scans?
          • 2. McAfee support doesn't have the knowledge.
            I asked on a chat about the scheduled scan option and got nothing. here is the text. What good are they?

> Thank you for contacting McAfee Consumer Support. How can I help you?
            Tony John: Hi Lew, my name is Tony and I would be assisting you today.
            Tony John: Lew, I will do my best to help you resolve your issue. In order to do that, I need to gather some information first. Can I proceed?
            Customer: You won't need to do that I have a question regarding setting up a scheduled scan
            Tony John: To confirm, you need to configure McAfee scheduled Scan. Is that correct?
            Customer: yes
            Tony John: Not to worry Lew. We will together resolve this issue.
            Tony John: Lew, I need some more information for resolving this issue. Shall I proceed?
            Customer: Sure
            Tony John: Lew, for verification purpose, may I have your home telephone number with area code first?
            Customer: phone # deleted for your security
            Tony John: Thank you for the information.
            Tony John: Lew, please open McAfee Security Center.
            Customer: I have
            Customer: I just want to know one setting
            Tony John: Please click on Computer & Files and click on Configure on right side.
            Customer: Dows "Start scans only when the PC is plugged in." this mean it will wake the machine if it is sleep mode?
            Customer: Or does it mean connected to the internet. Can the machine be woken from a low power state>
            Tony John: Lew, it will work only when the computer is power state.
            Customer: So if the computer goes into low power mode the scan will not run?
            Tony John: No Lew.
            Customer: If it is unclicked will it run in low power state?
            Customer: what does it do if it is unclicked? What does it do if it is clicked?
            Tony John: Lew, all scheduled tasks need to work only with computer is powered on.
            Customer: Ok but what does it do if it is unclicked? What does it do if it is clicked?
            Tony John: Lew, it will start when the computer is power on.
            Tony John: Shall I send the steps for configuring scheduled Scan?
            Customer: What does "Start scans only when the PC is plugged in" mean?
            Customer: I mean it surely means something other than when it is powered on. Are you still there?
            Tony John: Lew, all scheduled tasks need to work only when computer is powered on.
            Customer: Why can't you just answer the question What does "Start scans only when the PC is plugged in" mean?
            Tony John: Please let me know whether you are chatting from the computer which is having issue?
            Customer: There is no issue! I just want to know what the setting does when it is clicked or when it is not. If you can send me to the documentation that explains it I will gladly read it for myself but since there is no manual ant the help does not say I asked you!
            Tony John: May I place you on hold for 2 minutes?
            Customer: I've waited that long already so yes
            Tony John: Thank you for being on hold. I appreciate your patience.
            Customer: sure
            Tony John: Lew, I will send the instructions via email on how to resolve the issue, could you please confirm whether this is your email address email removed for your security and safety ?
            Customer: yes it is
            Tony John: I will send the instruction via email after the end of this chat session and please perform the instructions.
            Customer: Fine
            Tony John: If you have any issue with McAfee product please feel free to contact us back.
            Customer: Hopefully it will give me the answer.
            Tony John: Is there anything else I can assist you with McAfee product?
            Customer: No
            Tony John: You may receive a survey from McAfee in the next couple of days that will give you an opportunity to provide feedback on the support we've offered. This information will be used to further improve our support. You may end this chat at your convenience. Thank you for contacting the McAfee Technical Support.
            Tony John: Bye Lew, have a nice day.
            Tony John: Lew, If you don't have any further questions, you can now close the chat console. Thanks again.
            • 3. RE: McAfee support doesn't have the knowledge.
              Vinod R
              Could you post in detail as to what your issue is?

Posting a chat script makes it difficult for me to answer...::)

Are you able to scan or not able to do that...

Do you get any error messages?

Did you notice anything?

Please Run the McAfee Virtual technician and post the session ID back here.
              • 4. My Scans work but want clearification on a setting!
                Under the settings for a Scheduled Scan there is a check box by the statement
                "Start scans only when the PC is plugged in."

I am trying to determine what this means.

Does "plugged in" mean only when the machine is plugged into power - which seems silly because who would expect a machine to run a scheduled event if it were off.

Does it mean plugged into power as in a laptop which can run on battery?

Or does it mean connected to the internet.

Can the machine be woken from a low power state>

What does the Scheduled Scan do if it is unclicked? What does it do if it is clicked?

I can find no reference in the documentation which I consider sorely lacking because it does not explain all settings. It just gives the following:

"Schedule a scan

Schedule scans that thoroughly check your entire computer for viruses and other threats using your default scan options. By default, VirusScan performs a scheduled scan once a week.

1. Open the Scheduled Scan pane.

How?

1. Under Common Tasks, click Home.
                2. On the SecurityCenter Home pane, click Computer & Files.
                3. In the Computer & Files information area, click Configure.
                4. On the Computer & Files Configuration pane, ensure that virus protection is
                enabled, and click Advanced.
                5. Click Scheduled Scan in the Virus Protection pane.
                2. Select Enable scheduled scanning.
                3. To reduce the amount of processor power normally used for scanning, select Scan
                using minimal computer resources.
                4. Select one or more days.
                5. Specify a start time.
                6. Click OK."