3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2009 3:06 PM by Riddlez

full scan locks up computer

I have a Dell XPS 420 with vista.

When ever I tried to run a full scan with norton my computer locked up. I purchased McAfee thinking norton was the issue but I am getting the same problem when I run McAfee full scan. I tried to run it in safe mode and it got to windows/system32/imageres.dll and stopped.
        • 1. RE: full scan locks up computer

Maybe googling imageres.dll will give you some answers. I got many results, but since I don't know your situation I can't really do something with those.

Of course it's possible that file (and maybe a few other things) is corrupted or that it has other issues, and it may be possible to fix it. I don't have anything to add to that.

Other possibilites:

Did you use the Norton uninstall tool to remove it ? Norton tends to leave stuff behind, which can cause problems.

You could try that, and if it still doesn't work uninstall McAfee (using the MCPR tool elsewhere on this forum, also follow the other instructions), and reinstall it.

But before you do that, it probably makes sense to check if there is no malware present on your computer ! You can scan your computer with free MBAM and SAS. You can also try an online scan with Kaspersky or another AV, but to do that you will probably have to disable the real-time protection of McAfee (which isn't safe if you're infected).

But maybe in this case it's best to try a chat with tech support, although that may take a lot of time and effort, and they may ask you to use their paid service for 'help'.

If all else fails, you can backup your data, reformat your harddrive(s), reinstall your OS, drivers etc., make sure you know how to do that before you begin.
          • 2. RE: full scan locks up computer

I did use the Norton uninstall tool but it still left stuff behind. I have removed it all... I think.

I have not noticed any computer issue other than when I try to do a full scan. The McAfee is a new install. I don't want to consider a reformat except as a last option.
            • 3. RE: full scan locks up computer
              I have never used it, but the Revo uninstaller is quite popular for removing leftovers. You might want to try it.