3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2009 5:17 AM by exbrit

Is there a exceptions list?

How can i add a file to the mcafee, exceptions list?
        • 1. RE: Is there a exceptions list?
          exbrit
          Assuming you mean flag a file to be missed during a scan. On the home products that isn't possible at the present time. We have asked for it, however.

If VirusScan is mis-identifying something as malware then forward it to Avert Labs.

Send a file to Avert for analysis:
          http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx
          or
          https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp
          or
          Email file to: virus_research@avertlabs.com
          When submitting samples via E-mail all samples must be packaged in a .ZIP file. When creating this .ZIP file, it is important to understand that the .ZIP can be no more than 3 megabytes in size and can contain no more than 30 files. Additionally, any .ZIP file created must be password-protected using the password "infected" (minus the ""). Failure to follow these guidelines will cause your submission to be rejected.
          • 2. RE: Is there a exceptions list?
            Thnx for your reply,
            the file however is I think, a corrupted file. When McAfee scans it will stop at that particular file and I can't skip it. And now I can't scan my computer for 100%.
            Do I need to send this (corrupted) file to Avert for analysis?
            • 3. RE: Is there a exceptions list?
              exbrit
              It might be a good idea to do so. Can it be moved elsewhere in the meanwhile?

VirusScan can sometimes stall because of disk errors so it may be a good idea to run chkdsk.

I've no idea what system you have but if it is XP then go to Start/Run and type in cmd and click Enter, then typ in chkdsk C: /r with the spaces and click the Enter key.
              It will object saying volume is in use try at next reboot Y/N? Type in Y and click Enter then reboot.

I entered a drive letter in case you have several, just change that accordingly. If you only have one drive then leave that out and enter just chkdsk /r.

For Vista elevate the cmd by going to Start/All Programs/Accessories and right-click Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator".