5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2009 4:03 PM by exbrit

Error Occurred While Updating--Please reinstall Security Center

Hello!

If anyone is reading this, I am again encountering a problem with Security Center after only 1 week. A week ago I uninstalled it, used the MCPR Tool and reinstalled Security Center from the McAfee Web Site. My original problem was stated in detail and got moved to the Virus Scan 13.0 solved issues section because everything appeared to be ok for a few days after I did the reinstall. I tried to edit that, but was denied access in that section.

I did install the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, every time I get a notice from Windows Update.

Anyway, problem is that when trying to download new Virus Scan Updates, the percentage of completion will increase up to a point then hang at say, 20%, then go back to 0. Finally I get a pop up that says Error Occurred While Updating--Please Reinstall Security Center.

I am really tired of having to uninstall, use the MCPR tool then reinstall.

My PC is almost 2 years old now and for the first 14 months of use, have not had any problem with McAfee.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
        • 1. RE: Error Occurred While Updating--Please reinstall Security Center
          exbrit
          What is your operating system and service pack and are you up to date with all Microsoft updates, both critical and non-critical?

Are you using any other protection software or any registry cleaners?

Have you checked for spyware using, for instance, the free version of this excellent application?

Are your Internet Explorer settings at default under Tools/Internet Options/Security and Advanced tabs, also is Content Advisor turned off under the Content tab?
          • 2. Error Occurred While Updating--Please reinstall Security Center
            Hello, Ex Brit, and thanks for the reply!!

My operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1. I am up to date with all Microsoft Updates, with the exception of the update for Office Live Add-In which is stated to be optional.

I am not using any other protection software or any registry cleaners that I am aware of. I do have MSN dial up service and not sure if they provide any of this.

I tried to check for spyware by going to the superantispyware site, but could not download the file--first I tried using my MSN Explorer browser--I clicked on free download and then RUN and then it said Windows cannot open this file. I tried to do a search and it then said unknown--does not recognize file type. Then I tried using Internet Explorer--it then said Internet Explorer cannot display web page. ??????

I normally use MSN Explorer to surf the Internet. I did open Internet Explorer and checked the settings you suggested--I reset Security to default. But under the Advanced tab, I did not change anything--it said only reset Internet Explorer Settings if your browser is in an unstable state. SHOULD I GO AHEAD AND RESET??? I did not enable the Content Advisor. ... For MSN Explorer, I am not sure how to restore settings to default.

Finally, when I download Security Center from the McAfee web site, I use Internet Explorer, because when I tried to do it with MSN Explorer would not seem to work.

If you can offer any addtional assistance, it would be very much appreciated.
            • 3. RE: Error Occurred While Updating--Please reinstall Security Center
              exbrit
              Click that Reset button and go ahead with that. It will give IE a new start. You'll have to go into Tools/Add-ons and re-enable the add-ons however after you've re-opened IE.

I'm not sure what happened with Superantispyware's download, it works OK for me.
              • 4. Error Occurred While Updating--Please reinstall Security Center
                Ex Brit--

Thanks for your efforts!!

I clicked the Reset button and re-enabled the add-ons.

Now I am downloading the Superantispyware in Internet Explorer--will take about 1-1/2 hours with my dial up connection.

Will see what happens.

Thanks!!