1 2 3 4 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2010 10:33 AM by Ex_Brit Go to original post RSS
      • 10. RE: How to stop pop up warning not protected
        Hi ExBrit :)

The pop-up says:

"Your computer is not fully protected.

Click here to check your protection status in McAfee SecurityCentre and fix any problems."

The only two options are then:

Check protection status or Close.

If you click 'Check protection status' MSC says:

Computer & Files - Action required

* Real-time scanning is disabled.

MSC version is: 9.3 build 9.3.137
        VSC version 13.3 builld 13.3.117 Engine ver: 5301.4018
        PFW version 10.3 build 10.3.106

Real time scanning isn't one of the 'problems' you're allowed to ignore on the 'Ignored Problems' tab, whereas e.g Spyware and PUP scanning is disabled... is. :(

Any ideas?
        • 11. RE: How to stop pop up warning not protected
          Ex_Brit
          I think the installation must be corrupted with upgrading from the older version.

Try the following after enabling Windows Firewall to afford protection during the process:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
          2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
          3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
          In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
          If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.
          4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site, NOT from any CD that you may have.
          • 12. RE: How to stop pop up warning not protected
            Hi again ExBrit,

Ok, I'll give this a try. If I had a pound for every time this 'dance' has to be done with McAfee programs over the years... well I'd have about 50 quid or so, but... :)

So, are you saying that this pop-up message definitely shouldn't appear with real-time scanning disabled in the latest McAfee security centre?

i.e. Disable real-time scanning; do a Windows-L; Log back on; no nag message?

If so, I'd be very happy, as it's otherwise working pretty well.
            • 13. RE: How to stop pop up warning not protected
              Ex_Brit
              It depends how you disabled scanning. If you disabled a Service in services.msc then that isn't permitted and can leave you wide open to infection. If you merely turned off the automatic scheduled scan, then no, it shouldn't be happening.

I'm not familiar with Windows-L, sorry.
              • 14. RE: How to stop pop up warning not protected
                I think we're talking at cross purposes here.

I never mentioned anything about turning off the 'scheduled-scan'. I disabled that when MSC was first installed and didn't get nagged by that.

What I did was turn off 'real-time scanning' using MSC not services.msc.

The message in MSC is that 'real-time scanning is disabled' and the 'fix' is to turn it on! Duhhh. Yeah I know that, I turned the ********* thing off!

Windows-L is the Windows Key press followed by L. It logs you straight off. Standard Windows stuff. Surprised you haven't heard of that before?

So, by the looks of it that damned nag pop-up is going to be there for ever, patronising me?

It's as redundant as saying 'your computer is switched on'!

Does anyone know how to STOP it please?
                • 15. RE: How to stop pop up warning not protected
                  Ex_Brit
                  OK I misread your original post, sorry. More haste less speed so they say.

Email scanning is not just for Outlook, it's for any of the supported email programmes.

Supported Email Programs[/B]

• POP3 &#8211; Outlook Express, Outlook, Eudora, Netscape, IncrediMail and Thunderbird; Japanese only: Shuriken, Becky and PostPet
                  • MAPI &#8211; Outlook
                  • Web &#8211; MSN/Hotmail, or email account with POP3 access

No you can't ignore that and it will constantly nag.

I've probably heard of Windows - L but have long forgotten about it.
                  • 16. RE: How to stop pop up warning not protected
                    Well, again, it's not e-mail scanning that I'm concerned about anyway. It's real-time FILE scanning which is - and always has been - a completely unnecessary system hog which shortens the life of hard drives and slows everything down.

I've always MANUALLY scanned files at the appropriate time.

This nag message is a real PITA.

All McAfee need to do is add a 'don't show this annoying window again' checkbox and voila!

Like the original poster it looks like I'll have to revert to an earlier version or look elsewhere for an alternative.

It's ironic that the most useful file McAfee have ever created is one which completely eliminates all traces of it from your hard drive, namely MCPR!
                    • 17. RE: How to stop pop up warning not protected
                      Ex_Brit
                      Real time scanning turned off would basically render VirusScan ineffective as an active defense and therefore I doubt that you could ever convince the developers to make it an option. Should an infection find its way in, by the time you get around to doing a manual scan the damage would most likely have been done as VirusScan wouldn't have known it's there.

Sorry but that's the bad news and I can't offer any solution.

I beg to differ that it's an unnecessary level of protection. Email scanning, however, is in many experts opinions an unnecessary addition, but even that can't be turned off without incurring warnings.

The products are designed to protect the average machine and, as many people out there are totally irresponsible, has built-in safeguards that make it difficult if not impossible to defeat its protection.
                      • 18. Re: RE: How to stop pop up warning not protected

"Real time scanning turned off would basically render VirusScan ineffective Real time scanning turned off would basically render VirusScan ineffective " is rather a short-sighted view, really. I too want this disabled without being plagued by annoying, condescending pop-ups. Reason simply being that McAfee real-time scanning is too blunt and invasive, and the McAfee staff ignores all issues people are having with it (like it deleting regular, non-virus files). So, I will install Microsoft's Security Essentials instead. Only reason I still have the rest of McAfee installed is because of the handy firewall. Otherwise it would be gone altogether.

• 19. Re: RE: How to stop pop up warning not protected
                          Ex_Brit

Well good luck operating SecurityCenter with only McAfee Firewall enabled as you will be plagued with warning pop-ups.  The application just is not designed that way and never will be.

Many years ago McAfee marketed individual applications but no longer, except in the case of the Enterprise (Corporate) products.