1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2009 9:02 AM by exbrit

Update problem: DAT version 5567

I'm manually updating, Security Center says downloading, then installing but I never get the confirmation window and when I check the DAT version, it says 5566. So no update is performed :confused:

I have rebooted and manually tried to update but the result is the same...

Any ideas please?
        • 1. RE: Update problem: DAT version 5567
          Vinod R

wait for a day and then check it out.. perhaps there were not much updates going on this weekend
          • 2. RE: Update problem: DAT version 5567
            Hello,
            I've got the same problem so it looks like somethings
            gone wrong on mcafee's end .I don't think it's just a day without
            updates because it says it's downloading (although a quick one)
            then does a very quick install without a message saying that the update is
            complete. Let's hope it all gets staightened out.
            Hubie :rolleyes:
            • 3. RE: Update problem: DAT version 5567
              My VirusScan was automatically updated from version 12 to version 13.3 at about 15:00 UTC on Saturday (about 15 hours ago). At that time I had DAT 5566 (Friday's file). Since then I have noticed two attempts to automatically update, neither of which resulted in an alert. I have not attempted a manual update, because I want to verify that version 13 automatic updates work ok for me.

I think the advice to wait until about 19:00 UTC on Sunday is reasonable, assuming that there is congestion on the McAfee servers.
              • 4. Update problem
                I have the impression there is a problem in the update sequence. It does a download but does not arrive to install it (stops when starting install). I thought it was my computer, but the problem is more general apparently.
                • 5. RE: Update problem
                  This is definitely a problem on the McAfee side. We've been reporting it here:

http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=229116
                  http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=229114

We've seen this problem with DATs before - ExBrit tracked the last one down to a dodgy update over the weekend (post #36 on: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=227882&page=4).

The usual Tier 1 advice of uninstalling/reinstalling usually doesn't do any good in these instances - you uninstall, and then reinstall with an ancient DAT and it can't get the most recent one because of the bad-DAT push - and you end up being worse-off protected than before.

This appears to be the second bad push in as many months...

Are you running Security Center 9.2 or 9.3? I think there's something off in SC9.3 - my About screen is blank (http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=229113).

Gopha
                  • 6. RE: Update problem: DAT version 5567

I have the same problem with 5567 dat. Manually updated many times and says downloading then says installing then 7 seconds later stops with no update. I think McAfee is putting corrupt dat files on their servers lately. Once in the last week when it installed a dat it disabled my real time virus scan protection and had to use McAfee Virtual Technician to fix it. Why doesn't McAfee check out their dat files before putting messed up ones on their servers? They really mess with real time protection more often then it should. It looks like they did not check 5567 out or if they did surely would have taken it off servers and left 5566 on.
                    Jerry
                    • 7. RE: Update problem: DAT version 5567
                      exbrit
                      Re: 5567 it just failed to install twice on my Vista setup so there must be a server problem or they've withdrawn the DAT after it was released to the servers perhaps, but that is only a theory. I'm assuming it was DAT 5567 as it said it was updating VirusScan.

Nothing much one can do but wait and see what happens.
                      • 8. RE: Update problem: DAT version 5567
                        Hi to all and thanks for your replies! I uninstalled McAfee and reinstalled it in my laptop (Vista Home Premium) and now it reads DAT version 5567.000 and it detects two of the virus/worm samples I sent a couple of days ago :)

I have Total Protection installed in one of my home PCs, haven't uninstalled/installed McAfee on this one and it stills reads DAT 5566.0000. Let's check how the installation go today guys.
                        • 9. RE: Update problem: DAT version 5567
                          I experienced a successful automatic installation of DAT 5567 (Saturday's file) at 23:00 UTC on Sunday, after taking no action except for patient waiting! It may or may not be significant that the installation occurred while I was logged on to an administrator account, whereas the abortive attempts occurred for a user account. Certainly VirusScan12 regularly installed new DATs for user accounts, but this is my first experience of VS 13.

Now I know automatic updating works for my VS 13, I can confidently wait for DAT 5568 (Sunday's file)!
                          1 2 Previous Next