8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2008 11:06 AM by exbrit

Newsleecher program

Hi

I installed the new version 9 mcafee on my pc and it sees the program newsleecher as a new poly virus while before it never did.
      I tried to send the newsleecher.exe + tmp files through the send thingy in security center but it says the files are to big to send...
      Possible u could update it so it will not be recognized as a virus and doesnt remove it all the time ?
      its kinda annoying :(

kind regards scorp

ps.: The program can be downloaded freely at newsleecher.com/?id=download --> latest beta version.
        • 1. RE: Newsleecher program
          exbrit
          There are a couple of different ways of submitting it:

Send a file to Avert for analysis:
          http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx
          or
          https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp
          or
          Email file to: virus_research@avertlabs.com
          When submitting samples via E-mail all samples must be packaged in a .ZIP file. When creating this .ZIP file, it is important to understand that the .ZIP can be no more than 3 megabytes in size and can contain no more than 30 files. Additionally, any .ZIP file created must be password-protected using the password "infected" (minus the ""). Failure to follow these guidelines will cause your submission to be rejected.
          • 2. RE: Newsleecher program
            thx ex_brit , followed your advice and sended it by e-mail , now hope they will fix it soon :rolleyes:
            • 3. RE: Newsleecher program
              exbrit
              Good luck.
              • 4. RE: Newsleecher program
                Another question , is it possible to exclude the files that virusscan keeps quarantaining? (atleast untill avert comes with an update)

It quarantains the files into the vault and i can restore the files also by the restore option but directly virusscan sets em in quarantine again , only option now i found is to .rar the files , turn off virusscan when ever i want to use the program , unpack and voilá program is ready for usage. But this is not an option i want to do all the time cause i use the program frequently , i looked at the restore option if there was a trusted option like it puts in the trusted program list as in the config option but there is not, i couldnt find an 'add files/programs' button in the config - trusted program list , so bit clueless atm , maybe there is a config file which i can add program/files too ??!!! but i do not know .....????!!!

anyone who can help?
                • 5. RE: Newsleecher program
                  exbrit
                  The home products cannot be configured to ignore certain files and not others unfortunately.
                  • 6. RE: Newsleecher program
                    hmm thats not good not being able to config , waiting for update for this problem is not a pleasant thing aswell , will have a good thought when my license expires about purchasing a new one.

Dont want to be dependable on updates for issues like this kind , which may well can take up too months before they take actions in issues like this.

Thank u Ex_Brit for the info and kind help!

kind regards
                    Scorp
                    • 7. RE: Newsleecher program
                      update : u can move this thread to solved issue's :D

They updated virusscan and it allows the program now. :cool:

best regards
                      • 8. RE: Newsleecher program
                        exbrit
                        Done. Thanks for posting back.