5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2009 7:19 PM by Peter M

VirusScan 13 with error 2147467259

I've also got Internet Security Suite 10 - 2008 which has been installed & working ok for 9 months. It worked ok yesterday, but today the Mcafee Security suite high lighted that "Computer & Files, plus Email required actions" I tried to run a full scan as I thought this may be what was needed but got error scan failed to start: result=2147467259.

how can this be fixed ?

Thanks
        • 1. RE: VirusScan 13 with error 2147467259
          Peter M
          You couldn't have VirusScan 13 with the 2008 products. Can you please open Security Center by double-clicking the taskbar icon and then selecting "About" in the lower right-hand corner. Please post the versions of each module.

Try running the Virtual Technician linked in my signature. Post the session ID #.

Please advise what operating system and service pack you have, also if you have been running any registry cleaners.
          • 2. Internet Security Suite 9
            Yeh, Wrong version listed. Below are the correct ones.

Security Centre : 9.0
            VirusScan : 13.0
            Firewall : 10.0
            Anti-Spam :10.0
            Parental :11.0
            Easy Network : 3.0
            Backup : 3.0

& no registry cleaners are being used.

Virtual Tech Session id 16012111, reports VirusScan Service not running.
            In services.msc, McAfee Real-time Scanner is set to "Pause" & it will not Resume.
            • 3. RE: Internet Security Suite 9
              Peter M
              Have you been using registry cleaners by the way? They have a habit of causing this kind of problem.

The best thing to do is as follows.

First enable Windows Firewall.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
              2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
              3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
              In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
              4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site, NOT from any CD that you have.

Windows Firewall should have been automatically turned off during this procedure.

I moved this to Internet Security Suite 11.
              • 4. RE: Internet Security Suite 9
                Thanks for the info, but i've just downloaded the latest MS hotfixes & rebooted. Now my Mcafee is saying everything OK. I ran Virtusl Tech again & this time no errores deteched. Session ID for this was 16014075.
                If I get the same error again, I think I was remove all & re-install as suggested.
                • 5. RE: Internet Security Suite 9
                  Peter M
                  OK then I'll mark this as solved. Start a new thread if anything further causes a problem.